Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oldie with no papers

Options
  • 21-07-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

An odd one, the mrs. has as auld yoke sitting in a shed that her dad bought from up north nearly 3 decades ago. It's been sat in the shed and wasn't even started up until recently, and it took a fair bit of work!

Anyway, to the point, the log book has been long lost and her dad passed away a few years back - is there anything that could be done to put it on Irish plates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

You'll have to contact the DVLA but afaik it can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If the car is pre 1980 your best bet is to buy a logbook for an irish model of the same car that's scrapped or rusted beyond repair and essentially use its identity. It is technically illegal but an awful lot do it and it saves you from a world of paper work and bureaucratic nonsense! How ever if ya wanted to do it legally you would need the chassis number to apply for a replacement u.k logbook first then vrt it to get an irish one. If its after 1980 it has to be nct'd so option 1 is more difficult and illegal as changing of chassis numbers is needed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

If the car is pre 1980 your best bet is to buy a logbook for an irish model of the same car that's scrapped or rusted beyond repair and essentially use its identity. It is technically illegal but an awful lot do it and it saves you from a world of paper work and bureaucratic nonsense! How ever if ya wanted to do it legally you would need the chassis number to apply for a replacement u.k logbook first then vrt it to get an irish one. If its after 1980 it has to be nct'd so option 1 is more difficult and illegal as changing of chassis numbers is needed :rolleyes:

It's not 'technically' illegal.... it is simply 'illegal'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

True it is illegal however lets not pretend it doesn't happen and also if it so happens that for one reason or another it's the only way to get a classic car back on the road then I for one would not hesitate in doing it. Obviously anyone would try to get a legitimate matching and above board log book for their car first however if the correct procedures fail and they do sometimes then it's a rather innocent crime also in the case of a pre 1980 car chances are no one will ever know/care and it helps keeps the scene alive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's been sat for 30 years so no need to rush.
    Contact the DVLA and do it properly. Come time to sell down the line it will be easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

True it is illegal however lets not pretend it doesn't happen and also if it so happens that for one reason or another it's the only way to get a classic car back on the road then I for one would not hesitate in doing it. Obviously anyone would try to get a legitimate matching and above board log book for their car first however if the correct procedures fail and they do sometimes then it's a rather innocent crime also in the case of a pre 1980 car chances are no one will ever know/care and it helps keeps the scene alive

It happens and sooner or later it will wreck the privileges we classic owners get. Don't be coming on here advocating people break the law

• Registered Users Posts: 65,078 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No more advocating breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It happens and sooner or later it will wreck the privileges we classic owners get. Don't be coming on here advocating people break the law

Exactly. It's worth bearing in mind no decision has been made on the NCT rules yet, and the ongoing controversy regarding ringers is getting more and more out of hand and talked about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

there's a few people will be in deep doo-doo if the NCT rules are changed unfavourably

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Do you know the registration of the vehicle? If it was NI/GB you should be able to see if it is on the system.

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

If it is not showing beware of the following:

The manufacturer's name entered in the search needs to be the same as that on the file. For example if it is an Austin Maxi, it might have been registered as a "Austin-Morris", "BL Cars" or "Leyland Cars".

If the vehicle hasn't been taxed since 1983, it might not be on the system and only a skeleton file exists. A skeleton file is one where the DVLA knows they've issued the registration mark, but that's about it. To chase it down further local paper archives need to be searched as these go back to a time of local registration offices and pre-date centralisation at Swansea.

Certainly recent NI numbers appear on system, but I don't know how well integrated the old Coleraine database is with the mainland Swansea database.

That's what I'd do anyway, starting researching the NI papertrail and see if that yields results. If that is successful use the NI docs and re-register in IRL. If that is unsuccessful then register in IRL (when you are ready for the road) from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

there's a few people will be in deep doo-doo if the NCT rules are changed unfavourably

And I look forward to ****ing them off when they come on here looking for help.

Too many original cars have been ruined by these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The registration is on the bike, I'm not sure of the age of it. I tried checking it before on cartell or similiar and nothing came up.

It's worthless (or worth feck all) and has more sentimental value than anything. The mrs's older brother wants to do it up, eventually.

FWIW, it's a Honda 70, the brown and white type.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

As I hinted at, if it was last taxed pre-1983, then it may be a no-show on the DVLA mega-computer.

However, being a Honda, I would of thought it relatively easy to officially verify the year of manufacture to the satisfaction of the Revenue Commissioners.

Now this is Classic Cars and you're talking Motorcycles.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72992308

With it being over 30 years old, VRT will be nil. As there's no money in it, you apparently don't visit the NCTS, but go to the Revenue. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MarinaD

try Myvehicle .ie - it might be some help- I am not sure if they do classic cars but I got a full report on my car (2002)

Advertisement