Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a job as a primary school teacher

Options
  • 21-07-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, I qualified as a primary school teacher from NUIM in 2014 and have spent the last year subbing in different schools in Kerry and Limerick (Im based in Kerry but willing to travel). I've also been applying for jobs as they come up, but i don't seem to be having any success getting called for an interview.

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any advice in relation to applying for jobs. I've filled in all the necessary forms etc. Is there anything extra that anyone has done that they found particularly beneficial?

Many thanks,

Swilsa

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Limerick and Kerry , like Cork , have always been very difficult for primary teaching work. You may need to look further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 swilsa

Yeah, I've come to realise that primary teaching jobs in this area are not easy to come by. I've had quite a good bit of subbing in this my first year out of college which has made me hopeful. Im really just wondering what gives people the extra edge, what gets them in the door for an interview?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What kind of extra curricular things could you offer? Have you IT skills,music, first aid, GAA skills? All 4 are a good addition to primary schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭5ub

As above (assuming you don't have one or more of those) a candidate who can offer any of those will have an edge over others. How many positions roughly have you applied for, because there are obviously some jobs available down that way, its just a matter of getting the interview (obviously)

5ub wrote: »
    As above (assuming you don't have one or more of those) a candidate who can offer any of those will have an edge over others. How many positions roughly have you applied for, because there are obviously some jobs available down that way, its just a matter of getting the interview (obviously)

Extra curricular skills include IT, drama, dance, as well as a specific interest in language development. Ive done electives in gaelscoils (attended an irish speaking primary school), educate together, language and literacy, and understanding and problem solving in mathematics.

I've applied for roughly 50 jobs in the last year i would say. It gets a little disheartening applying for jobs which i feel are probably earmarked for someone already so id really like to give myself an extra advantage to actually get an interview and then win them over with my personality once i get in there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭5ub

swilsa wrote: »
    Extra curricular skills include IT, drama, dance, as well as a specific interest in language development. Ive done electives in gaelscoils (attended an irish speaking primary school), educate together, language and literacy, and understanding and problem solving in mathematics.

I've applied for roughly 50 jobs in the last year i would say. It gets a little disheartening applying for jobs which i feel are probably earmarked for someone already so id really like to give myself an extra advantage to actually get an interview and then win them over with my personality once i get in there :)

That is quite an impressive list overall, I would think the likes of drama and dancing would be of fair interest to a primary school. I have a niece in school in Dublin who does drama after school and from 4th class on they are offered various languages, French etc.

I can understand why it would feel disheartening, and especially with a list of extra curricular activities like yours, I am quite surprised to hear you haven't been called for an interview even. If you can you should expand your search a little bit further afield but that can be easier said than done sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kilrush

Hey Swilsa,

I don't have much to add here but just to say keep trying everywhere in the country. My sister recently got a year long position for next september after doing a bit of subbing here and there for her first year out a bit like you.

It is the other side of the country to us and she had no connections or wasn't earmarked just saw the job on some website (educationsjobs.ie or something like that I think it was the standard one you should know it :) ) and applied and after doing this over and over again she eventually got one!

All valid points... I'd really love to work in Munster and like i said, I've been getting quite a bit of subbing here which made me hopeful about employment prospects in Kerry/Limerick area in particular. I guess I'll have to keep searching in the hope of getting something! I've sent out a good few applications over the last number of weeks, and with a year of subbing under my belt I'm hopeful that I'll get something.

I'm really wondering from an employers perspective, what stands out on the teaching applications... What makes them choose one over another?

Thanks Kilrush! Really want to work in Kerry and have expanded to Cork and Limerick... I'd really like to work in Munster if I could!! Jobs and panels are allocated per county.. So longterm it would be beneficial to me not to be too far from home. I've heard many stories of people taking jobs up the country and not being able to get work where the eventually want to live.

Advertisement