Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C Request - Photo of Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 21-07-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I was wondering if you guys would give me some feedback on what you think of the Dun Laoghaire picture that I put up. I think its "meh". Anything good or bad about it?

BBFABBA6787141469418F8449AA9ADF7-0000366627-0003780655-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Created a separate C&C thread for this. Moved from the comments thread.

There's lovely light and mood in the shot and I like the tones in the sky, something calming about it even though it is a stormy shot.

I think perhaps if you did a crop to move the horizon off of the centre, place it on the 2/3rds line. I'm not sure about the bollard that is half in/half out of the left side of the. The reflection of it is nice but it's a pity the whole lot isn't in.

I would probably crop a little off of the bottom too - the dark area on the right almost draws your eye out of the photo, it's very dominant and empty space.

Maybe a panoramic 16:9 crop would work? :) Just some food for thought! Overall I like it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tiriel wrote: »
    Created a separate C&C thread for this. Moved from the comments thread.

There's lovely light and mood in the shot and I like the tones in the sky, something calming about it even though it is a stormy shot.

I think perhaps if you did a crop to move the horizon off of the centre, place it on the 2/3rds line. I'm not sure about the bollard that is half in/half out of the left side of the. The reflection of it is nice but it's a pity the whole lot isn't in.

I would probably crop a little off of the bottom too - the dark area on the right almost draws your eye out of the photo, it's very dominant and empty space.

Maybe a panoramic 16:9 crop would work? :) Just some food for thought! Overall I like it!

Yeah I'd agree, I think at very least a slightly tighter crop to remove some of the foreground and also the left (even just removing the pillar) and it would be great.

That being said, it's a lovely shot, and the cropping is only a very minor adjustment. Nice one! I might head out there some evening this week and see if I can get something similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Super guys. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not a C&C but a few thoughts. There's something very odd with the bright bit of foreground towards bottom-right side of center. kind of like aliens were about to beam something down/up to/from the mothership (localised, out of the ordinary brightness). i'd do a b/w conversion to put the drama into overdrive but that aspect of the image doesn't work if you do it.

Given the perspective which you are shooting at you almost lose the scale (and detail) of the buildings (bit of a Ted moment I know - "Dougal, cows, near/far," etc..), but maybe that suggests that there may have been a more interesting shot a little further up the way where you might tell more of the story of the scene by getting more out of the buildings.

Nice image all the same. Wonderful sky. Make a nice B/W apart from unusual brightness part referred to above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

too much haloing. just above the buildings middle right, and around the rocks in the foreground. if you can see the puppet strings, you don't forget it's a puppet show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement