Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laws for canoeing the canals

Options
  • 20-07-2015 11:09pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1


    Hi I'm fairly new to this, I'm planning to canoe on the Grand Canal and the Barrow.

    Are there licenses needed to Canoe these? I just found out you need a licence for Blessington lake.

    It's flat water so I'm assuming helmets aren't required, but is there any other equipment (apart from PFD's) that are required by law? And If there's anything else you think I should know please share.
    Tagged:


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan


    Thankfully this being Ireland and not the UK you are free to paddle the rivers and canals at your leisure. You are required by law to have a suitable PDF, Ideally you should not paddle alone.

    Blessington lakes are owned and operated by the ESB hence the license.

    Just go out and enjoy, if you are new to paddling I would suggest a small bit of instruction from some one suitable qualified / experienced. Canoeing Ireland will be happy to answer any questions you might have www.canoe.ie


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi


    Owen H wrote: »
    Hi I'm fairly new to this, I'm planning to canoe on the Grand Canal and the Barrow.

    Are there licenses needed to Canoe these? I just found out you need a licence for Blessington lake.

    It's flat water so I'm assuming helmets aren't required, but is there any other equipment (apart from PFD's) that are required by law? And If there's anything else you think I should know please share.

    If you plan to kayak or canoe on a river such as the Barrow, make sure you are aware of the different sections of the river. The Barrow does have grade 2 rapids and weirs on certain parts of it. When I was starting off I hit my head more times off my own boat than any rocks ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40


    helmets are not normally required on flat water however, if you are new to it and using a sit in kayak , it would be a good idea to wear one as you could capsize and there could be hazards undder the water. also, if using a sit in, make sure you are 100% with capsize drills.
    There are a few very good clubs near the barrow, why not join one and learn properly. you will also have a lot more fun


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi


    helmets are not normally required on flat water however

    I'm always intrigued when i hear this :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40


    yomchi wrote: »
    I'm always intrigued when i hear this :o

    Why? For anyone with basic training which I recommended, flat water paddling is probably safer than walking down the street.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 muinteoirpaul


    xt40 wrote: »
    Why? For anyone with basic training which I recommended, flat water paddling is probably safer than walking down the street.

    I'd still always recommend a helmet. I get where you're coming from, xt40, but I think there's slightly more risk than that. To give just one example, if a group of (fairly) novice paddlers are out together there is a greater chance of a collision or an accidental bump to the head from a paddle. That being said, flat water paddling is largely safe under the conditions (i.e. training) you mentioned.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi


    xt40 wrote: »
    Why? For anyone with basic training which I recommended, flat water paddling is probably safer than walking down the street.

    What about cycling down the street? But you're probably right. But here's a scenario for you to ponder;

    You're taking a flat water session, one of the group capsizes with no helmet and takes a bang to the head. There's a rock under the water that no one can see, they are now unconscious or dazed, the shock causes them to ingest water. You paddle over and unconscious rescue them, they are in a bad way in the boat. All your 'basic' training comes in handy to get them off the water. They're brought to hospital with a nasty head wound with the nasty potential of secondary drowning. There's an investigation into the cause of the accident, the authorities come to you as the person who is qualified to teach on flat water, they ask you had they protection on their head, you say no. They ask why not? They inform you that you have been negligent in your duty of care to people in the group.

    Murphy's law and all that, CYA I say, always CYA for the sake of a poxy helmet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ec18


    yomchi wrote: »
    What about cycling down the street? But you're probably right. But here's a scenario for you to ponder;

    You're taking a flat water session, one of the group capsizes with no helmet and takes a bang to the head. There's a rock under the water that no one can see, they are now unconscious or dazed, the shock causes them to ingest water. You paddle over and unconscious rescue them, they are in a bad way in the boat. All your 'basic' training comes in handy to get them off the water. They're brought to hospital with a nasty head wound with the nasty potential of secondary drowning. There's an investigation into the cause of the accident, the authorities come to you as the person who is qualified to teach on flat water, they ask you had they protection on their head, you say no. They ask why not? They inform you that you have been negligent in your duty of care to people in the group.

    Murphy's law and all that, CYA I say, always CYA for the sake of a poxy helmet.

    While a true scenario, I gathered that he meant a group of peers on flatwater as opposed to a session. If it's a session and there is a potential for liability then of course everyone should have helmets on.

    But if it's 4/5 friends on the canal for cruise on a Sunny sunday then I wouldn't be fire and brimstone you must where helmets.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi


    ec18 wrote: »
    While a true scenario, I gathered that he meant a group of peers on flatwater as opposed to a session. If it's a session and there is a potential for liability then of course everyone should have helmets on.

    But if it's 4/5 friends on the canal for cruise on a Sunny sunday then I wouldn't be fire and brimstone you must where helmets.

    That's a fair point and I agree. However the OP did state he was fairly new to this, and that he also intended on kayaking on the Barrow, which isn't flat water for the entire stretch.

    If the dude is new to it, I'd be recommending good practice from the start. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo


    Safe paddling on Flat water, don't need a helmet, ye never played Polo.....


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ec18


    Safe paddling on Flat water, don't need a helmet, ye never played Polo.....

    you mean this?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo


    ec18 wrote: »
    you mean this?

    Yeah....:rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 8 dugg139


    Owen H wrote: »
    Hi I'm fairly new to this, I'm planning to canoe on the Grand Canal and the Barrow.

    Are there licenses needed to Canoe these? I just found out you need a licence for Blessington lake.

    It's flat water so I'm assuming helmets aren't required, but is there any other equipment (apart from PFD's) that are required by law? And If there's anything else you think I should know please share.


    Just stumbled across this thread. Did you end up doing the paddle? If so what should I know about the canal, permits, lock gates etc.? Im hoping to paddle the Grand Canal to the Shannon and down into Limerick this August so any information is useful. Thanks


Advertisement