Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 exams , yay or meh ?

Options
  • 20-07-2015 3:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given that Windows 10 is out soon(ish) and the exams are meant to be launched at the end of summer / start of september , the question is : will you be updating your your certification ?

Will you sitting the Windows 10 exams in 2015 8 votes

Already Microsoft Certified , will be updating
    0% 0 votes
    Already Microsoft Certified , will NOT be updating
    37% 3 votes
    No current certification - will be certifying this year
    12% 1 vote
    Will be certifying , just not this year
    37% 3 votes
    Micro who ?
    12% 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering I've yet to see a business that's moved to 8 wholeheartedly (expects incoming list of thousands of them!), for the client certification - no.

Whatever Server 10 ends up being marketed as - yes, my certification (2003 MCSE, handful of 2008 MCTS) is now horribly out of date even if you didn't consider Microsofts introduction of expiry dates. Definitely need to do the learning on the newer working methods and more Powershell...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I've a funny feeling there'll be a few "cowboy" sites that'll see free upgrade and jump at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

L1011 wrote: »
    Considering I've yet to see a business that's moved to 8 wholeheartedly (expects incoming list of thousands of them!), for the client certification - no.

Pfizer - 75000 + employees so well over 50000 machines all gone Windows 8 since late last year

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pfizer - 75000 + employees so well over 50000 machines all gone Windows 8 since late last year

I can now say I'm quite glad I turned down a job there in 2009, based on my incredible inertia in moving on...

Current place I have the vast majority of machines 8 ready and licenced; but running 7 Pro because I don't have enough resources to retrain every single employee in how to use the horror.

I did hold out hope that 8.1 would "fix" it the way Win 7 SP1 made it stable and Windows XP SP2 made it suitable to replace 2000 with; but its not come close

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

L1011 wrote: »
    I can now say I'm quite glad I turned down a job there in 2009, based on my incredible inertia in moving on...

Current place I have the vast majority of machines 8 ready and licenced; but running 7 Pro because I don't have enough resources to retrain every single employee in how to use the horror.

I did hold out hope that 8.1 would "fix" it the way Win 7 SP1 made it stable and Windows XP SP2 made it suitable to replace 2000 with; but its not come close

Pfizer use Win 8 Enterprise with Stardock Start8 and its is actually rock solid. Not a a lot different from Win7 in training and usability etc. I actually think its a great OS but think Pfizer for example would have been better to wait for Win 10 and do the jump directly to that. I would imagine a lot of businesses will do this jump sooner rather than later so maybe get trained up in Win10 would be a good idea

• Advertisement

I'm seeing lots of places jumping on Citrix to be honest.
    As in virtualising Windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

horgan_p wrote: »
    I'm seeing lots of places jumping on Citrix to be honest.
    As in virtualising Windows 7

Its usually Server 2008 R2 made to look like windows 7.

Its usually Server 2008 R2 made to look like windows 7.

And by god do people hate that being pointed out.

7 SP1 and 2008 R2 SP1 have the same EOL date (seeing as they're basically client/server versions of the same OS) so, unless you've got new hardware that can't run 7 or want to move to thin clients, I can't see it as a suitable upgrade path. Other reasons for virtualisation exist, of course.

(interestingly 2008 SP2 has nearly three years more than Vista SP2 despite their similarities)

Advertisement