Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shirt help

Options
  • 20-07-2015 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

I need a new shirt for an upcoming wedding. I want a white shirt, preferably double cuff, and it must be a slim fit. I like my shirts to be quite fitted on me. Doesn't sound like too much to ask for does it? Well the problem is that my neck size is 16 inch, which means that even the extra slim fit shirts are huge on the body. So far I have tried a super fitted shirt from TM Lewin, an extra slim fitted shirt from Saville Row, a slim fit in Marks and Spencer and one or 2 shirts, and all these shirts have been too big on the body for my liking. Has anybody any suggestions of shops I can check out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Unless you have the time to wait to get one made using some of the online "made to measure" services, my recommendation is to find the slimmest of all the ones you've tried and bring it to a tailor to get fitted to you. A few darts and new hems would probably sort you. So long as the shoulders, armholes and neck fits ok you should be able to get a good fit with some extra money put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Either that, or bulk up a bit! :) Sorry. You don't want it completely fitted though, right? You need to have a bit of movement. And if you're wearing a suit you'll have a jacket on right?

We don't have great options here for shirts; you'd need to be in London and head down Jermyn Street and maybe you'd find something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Either that, or bulk up a bit! :) Sorry. You don't want it completely fitted though, right? You need to have a bit of movement. And if you're wearing a suit you'll have a jacket on right?

We don't have great options here for shirts; you'd need to be in London and head down Jermyn Street and maybe you'd find something.

Nope, I don't want it painted on to me or anything.....there is a big dinner and a few pints to be drank on the day :p
    Unless you have the time to wait to get one made using some of the online "made to measure" services, my recommendation is to find the slimmest of all the ones you've tried and bring it to a tailor to get fitted to you. A few darts and new hems would probably sort you. So long as the shoulders, armholes and neck fits ok you should be able to get a good fit with some extra money put in.

That is the plan at the moment, but just thought I'd double check if I'm missing any shops before I do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

BDJW wrote: »
    That is the plan at the moment, but just thought I'd double check if I'm missing any shops before I do that!

Did you try Thomas Pink and Louis Copeland? You'll pay a few bob but it'll last for years if you look after it. I recently bought a friend a shirt for his birthday that sounds exactly like what you want (except his isn't double-cuffed). His neck is 17". Got him a Louis Copeland shirt and it fits perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Are you going to be wearing a tie?

If not, you could trying sizing down to a 15" or 15.5" shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Did you try Thomas Pink and Louis Copeland? You'll pay a few bob but it'll last for years if you look after it. I recently bought a friend a shirt for his birthday that sounds exactly like what you want (except his isn't double-cuffed). His neck is 17". Got him a Louis Copeland shirt and it fits perfectly.

That's the plan for after work tomorrow!
    lizzyman wrote: »
    Are you going to be wearing a tie?

If not, you could trying sizing down to a 15" or 15.5" shirt.

Yeah I will be wearing a tie. I wouldn't go to a wedding without wearing one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I also wear slim fit shirts(size 15).
    I find the NEXT 100 % cotton shirts the best. They have slim ties as well.
    I would check out their website. They also have next day delivery.

The other slim fit shirts I wear are red herring.

Advertisement