Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could anyone advice between these two MacBook Pros?

Options
  • 20-07-2015 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hey all,

My MBP (15-inch, late 2011, 2GHz i7, 4GB RAM) was stolen last month. :( Any advice on choosing between these two models for a replacement? I have a small discount in the store through a friend:

15-inch MBP - €2200
    2.2Ghz quad-core i7
    16GB RAM (unchangeable)
    500GB SSD

13-inch MBP - €1700
    2.9GHz dual-core i5
    8GB RAM (€1940 to get 16GB)
    500GB SSD

I bought my old MacBook four years ago and was shocked to see how crazily expensive they've become. I'm tempted to downgrade to a 13-inch screen but it'd be really frustrating, would make the theft even more annoying knowing for the next four years that I could've been still using my old 15-inch. :mad:

I intend to keep this for at least four years, so I'm wondering what I should factor in re future-proofing. For example, I'd be more than happy with 8GB RAM for now (I was using 4GB) but I'm not sure if it'll be as easy/cheap to upgrade in future. More important is the processor - the i7 seems like it'll still be good to go in four years, whereas an i5 may not. Thoughts? I was really surprised to see that this super expensive machine was using a quad-core i7 processor given that was what was in my old 2011 machine? I had a 500GB SSD in my stolen 2011 laptop, which was running really well, and I can't see how this new model is *that* much better than it to justify it being €2k!

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

To be honest, I'd let screen size be the one thing that makes me decide. The other specs should be grand for a few years, because my 2008 machine still runs Yosemite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

In my experience it's always worth checking the refurbished on the apple site: http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

In terms of the two machines you've listed, what's your usage like - i5 versus i7 is unlikely to make a vast difference (even in a few years) unless you're doing something really cpu intensive. I have a 15" and like it, but it's relatively heavy - the 13" is more portable, but the smaller screen may be a pain if you're work exclusively on it and working with applications that use a lot of screen space.

I don't think any of us can do much beyond highlight the trade offs, the final call is yours.

Paddy

Advertisement