Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proteomics cossed with ...?

Options
  • 19-07-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,
    I will be taking a clinical proteomics module soon, and need to choose one of Advanced Immunolgy, or Fungal and Bacterial Secondary metabolites alongside the proteomics module.
    I'm just looking for opinions as to what marries better with the proteomics?
    I'm probably stronger on, and prefer Immunology, but if I was to go straight to work from undergrad, what would be the better option?
    I know,do what you are better at/prefer, as I said, just seeking opinions.
    So, if anyone is working in these fields, or have done similar, any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

peacock169 wrote: »
    I'm probably stronger on, and prefer Immunology, but if I was to go straight to work from undergrad, what would be the better option?

Depends what you want to work at, there are benefits to both, but either / or should not rule you out of that many entry level jobs.

Whats the lab workload for either?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

Wow, almost 5 months!! :D
    Went with Immunology as that was what I was stronger on. No lab work at all in any modules for me this term, as I have an industry placement for the 2nd semester. All modules (7 in total) had to be completed in semester 1, with exams split over both semesters.
    I sought advice from the Department and was advised to "just go with your strongest, whatever will get you the best mark", regardless of what I may have wanted to do later on. This was a bit disheartening, but they seemed to be saying that to get any interviews, the grade is the be all and end all. I'd hope thats not strictly true.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

peacock169 wrote: »
    Wow, almost 5 months!! :D
    Went with Immunology as that was what I was stronger on. No lab work at all in any modules for me this term, as I have an industry placement for the 2nd semester. All modules (7 in total) had to be completed in semester 1, with exams split over both semesters.
    I sought advice from the Department and was advised to "just go with your strongest, whatever will get you the best mark", regardless of what I may have wanted to do later on. This was a bit disheartening, but they seemed to be saying that to get any interviews, the grade is the be all and end all. I'd hope thats not strictly true.
    Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I only pop in here from time to time.

Without any lab work then it doesn't matter which one you take and their advice was probably pretty sound.

The industry placement is what will get you your job. If you get a good grade throw it in, if you don't just put down that you got a BSc (Hons) and the title as well as a list of modules.

Tailor your CV to suit the job in terms of skills, if they are looking for ELISA, put all relevant labs you have done over the 4 years down, if they are a PCR lab, put that down instead, if its micro, put that down.

Your industry experience will be the most important, followed by your degree title (and grade if it was good), and your list of skills that are relevant.

Advertisement