Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding wood for carving

Options
  • 19-07-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys I'm brand new to wood carving and I'm interesting in making things with a few simple tools, hatchet, knife and a carving set etc.

The problem is I don't know where I can get a log that has not been cut up into pieces by firewood sellers.
    As far as I'm aware it is illegal to collect a few logs(absolutely ridiculous btw) from your local forest, mine is three rock mountains or local parks like Marley etc in Dublin, even if the tree is felled or there's just a lovely log lying around.
    I'm interested in making a kuksa as my first project but I need materials to do it.

Has anyone any ideas where I can get logs about 1/2 foot long and a diameter of about a foot or so?
    Thanks a million,
    Alex V.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Ask the firewood sellers if they cut down the trees themselves, if so, tell them how long and how thick would suit you, and they might save you a piece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You will find tree surgeons are very protective of their timber - they usually have a buyer lined up before felling. They might cut some timber to your specification however, for a modest fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭deandean

If you can travel, contact one of the firewood suppliers in Wicklow I'm sure you can drive down and get what you want from them. However the woodwill probably be unseasoned spruce or the likes which might not be very good for carving.

I always fancied getting a big log and carving a totem pole, stick it in the front garden HOW!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've a friend whose dad is a sculptor, and he did that. looks quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tom Johnson

Hi guys I'm brand new to wood carving and I'm interesting in making things with a few simple tools, hatchet, knife and a carving set etc.

The problem is I don't know where I can get a log that has not been cut up into pieces by firewood sellers.
    As far as I'm aware it is illegal to collect a few logs(absolutely ridiculous btw) from your local forest, mine is three rock mountains or local parks like Marley etc in Dublin, even if the tree is felled or there's just a lovely log lying around.
    I'm interested in making a kuksa as my first project but I need materials to do it.

Has anyone any ideas where I can get logs about 1/2 foot long and a diameter of about a foot or so?
    Thanks a million,
    Alex V.

Hello I'm looking for the same as you some logs for carving, did you find were to get some from? Any info would be great thanks.

Ps I taught it would be an easy task to find some wood I was wrong ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Hello I'm looking for the same as you some logs for carving, did you find were to get some from? Any info would be great thanks.

Ps I taught it would be an easy task to find some wood I was wrong ðŸ˜

If you just want to experiment something like beech or sycamore firewood blocks are a good start. Avoid coarse grain woods like oak or ash as they don't take detail well. For figure carving the best wood of all is lime and I see plenty of blocks on fleabay. They can be glued together to make up the correct size.
    For inspiration have a look at the work of Ian Norbury ( who lives around Kildare last time I heard ) - an absolute genius.

Advertisement