Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation help urgently needed

Options
  • 19-07-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

hi could anyone please spare 5 minutes to translate the text below. I don't know how to myself and I need to translate and learn it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

If I won the lotto I would buy a new house, take a nice holiday and look after my family.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seomise

"Dá mbuafinn an crannchur náisúnta (National lotto), ceannóin teach nua, agus tabharfainn aire do mo thaighleach"

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rightofwayed

seomise wrote: »
    "Dá mbuafinn an crannchur náisúnta (National lotto), ceannóin teach nua, agus tabharfainn aire do mo thaighleach"

Thank you, I know I'm being cheeky but is there any chance you could write it phonetically as I'm unsure about some of the pronounciation. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seomise

I'll try

daw mu hinn an crown hur naw shoon ta, can owen tah nu a, aw gus tar hinn ar aw do mo hi loch

those ch's are difficult to write phonetically as there's no equivalent sound in english

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rightofwayed

seomise wrote: »
    I'll try

daw mu hinn an crown hur naw shoon ta, can owen tah nu a, aw gus tar hinn ar aw do mo hi loch

those ch's are difficult to write phonetically as there's no equivalent sound in english

Thanks a million I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Lots of spelling mistakes, and the holiday part was left out. Not a bad attempt overall though. Wait for my version to be confirmed, don't have time to double check it right now.

Dá mbuafainn an crannchur náisiúnta (National lotto), cheannóinn teach nua, rachfainn ar saoire, agus thabharfainn aire do mo mhuintir

Couple of things

- This is a literal translation, and works, although it's a bit stilted. I wouldn't *exactly* say it like this in speech (I would give it a dialectal spin, and perhaps reword it a bit).
    - When you say "take care of my family" do you mean that literally, or in the sense of implying you would "give them money" as it were (you know the way some people use the phrase "I took care of him" as in, I gave him money, did him a favour etc. not in the sense of taking care of a child)
    - Are you talking about your family as a whole, or the household? I gave the word used for the former.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Podgemus

GUMBI you seem like you know your stuff, i have a quick one for you, when you are writing school style (As in the style thats in schools today) is it simply scoil stíl? cant get a confirmation on this at all...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Podgemus wrote: »
    when you are writing school style (As in the style thats in schools today) is it simply scoil stíl? cant get a confirmation on this at all...

I've never heard the phrase "school style" in English, but I'd imagine it'd translate as "stíl scoile". What exactly do you mean by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Podgemus

A friend of mine setting up a shop selling schoolwear, calling it school-style (style of clothes school children wear), she thought it was scoil stíl,

Podgemus wrote: »
    A friend of mine setting up a shop selling schoolwear, calling it school-style (style of clothes school children wear), she thought it was scoil stíl,

Scoil means school and stíl means style bit thay doesn't mean scoil stíl means school style ;) In Irish the order is swapped, and a grammattical rule must be applied.

Stíl scoile as An File said is probably what you're looking for.

You could actually also say scoil-stíl with the hyphen I think, I'm not convinced the concept translate over however, as even in English it doesn't sit well with me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement