Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many catridges before your shotgun starts jamming misfiring?

Options
  • 19-07-2015 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering how many catridges before your shotgun starts misfiring jamming?

I have a second hand baikal over and under in what seems great condition.
    Me and a friend were having a little fun shooting targets and that pretty much catridge after catridge. I got to about 100-110 catridges before I got misfires is this normal?
    My friend got to about 70ish before his semi auto started jamming.
    Eley 71/2 catridges used.
    I clean my gun after every use my friend not quite as regular.
    Just wondering should they be jamming/misfiring after these many rounds in succession?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Hi just wondering how many catridges before your shotgun starts misfiring jamming?

I have a second hand baikal over and under in what seems great condition.
    Me and a friend were having a little fun shooting targets and that pretty much catridge after catridge. I got to about 100-110 catridges before I got misfires is this normal?
    My friend got to about 70ish before his semi auto started jamming.
    Eley 71/2 catridges used.
    I clean my gun after every use my friend not quite as regular.
    Just wondering should they be jamming/misfiring after these many rounds in succession?

When you say misfire , are you talking about pulling the trigger and all you get is a click even though a cartridge is chambered ? Or are you using the terms inerchangably ?

As for jamming, is it failing to extract , eject or feed ? Either way I would try using more lube , a grease not an oil. See if that fixes it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

bravestar wrote: »
    When you say misfire , are you talking about pulling the trigger and all you get is a click even though a cartridge is chambered ? Or are you using the terms inerchangably ?

As for jamming, is it failing to extract , eject or feed ? Either way I would try using more lube , a grease not an oil. See if that fixes it first.

For me and my o/u in the end it was a case of I'd pull the trigger and a small bloop sound and the wad would be stuck half way down the barrel.

For semi auto it was just jamming feeding the catridges

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

For me and my o/u in the end it was a case of I'd pull the trigger and a small bloop sound and the wad would be stuck half way down the barrel.

That's the fault of the cartridges not the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

seems like damp ammo with the primer going off and the powder charge not.

Thanks for replies. I cleaned the gun and is working fine since I've put a box of 25catridges through it to see if it's working okay it seems perfectly fine.
    Hopefully was just damp ammo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What make is the semi, some don't like 28g cartridges. They will cycle but inconsistently. Having said that, if the cartridges are damp then this will be the main issue.
    Are the Eleys plastic or fibre wad, I found my own semi has no issues with 28g plastic but foul up quicker with the fibre wads. My Baikal semi will run hundreds of cartridges and put up with fairly poor T&C before it has the odd issue with ejection (cartridge may hang up ejection port) then it's strip down and cleaner. But I've nevere experienced that with game cartridges (32g - 36g)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Your buddy needs to clean and lube up his semi auto abit more. Will work grand then.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

As mentioned above, crap ammo. As Grizzly said, take the semi apart and get out the tooth brush and cleaning gear and give it a good scrub on all the moving parts and give it a drop of oil. If the Baikal would start getting hard to open and hot to the touch it just needs a rest to cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What's your favourite lube for a semi auto shotgun?

I've found most gun oils too thin and run away from where they're needed. Grease is great to keep a gun functioning but a ton of crap sticks to it.

A thick engine oil maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

It he semi could possibly just need a gas seal changed even.

Was it ok before it has it always been like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Vegeta wrote: »

I've found most gun oils too thin and run away from where they're needed. Grease is great to keep a gun functioning but a ton of crap sticks to it.

You can buy a little tube of copper based grease specifically for s/a shotguns in a decent gun shop for about a tenner. You can buy a 1 litre can of copper based grease in a motor factors for about the same, I'd swear it's the same grease!

CLP or Fire clean or Frog lube are pretty good.They are designed to run on guns with alot of ammo going thru them.IE full auto, or the old favourite Balistol.Secret is to keep the spring on the mag tube moving freely and "wet"to what the gun likes to function.As said check the O rings and seals as they can cause detrimental functioning if they are dried out ,cracked, or damaged.
    Most problens with semis is failure to feed ,failure to eject.Both are usualy down to dirt in the mechanism.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    CLP or Fire clean or Frog lube are pretty good.They are designed to run on guns with alot of ammo going thru them.IE full auto, or the old favourite Balistol.Secret is to keep the spring on the mag tube moving freely and "wet"to what the gun likes to function.As said check the O rings and seals as they can cause detrimental functioning if they are dried out ,cracked, or damaged.
    Most problens with semis is failure to feed ,failure to eject.Both are usualy down to dirt in the mechanism.

Cheers Grizz, if I run my semi auto very dry then it will start to jam (sometimes fail to feed, sometimes fail to eject). If I grease it then it runs flawlessly but a lot of crap sticks to the grease and makes the eventual cleaning a pain. An alternative that stays where it is put but is not a dirt/crud magnet is always welcome.

Anyone ever try graphite from a pencil as a dry lube on a semi auto running a lot of rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Never tried actual pencil cores but there's graphite grease available in most gunshops and although it says grease it's not very sticky. If I remember correctly it comes in a white small tube of about 10ml or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

If I grease it then it runs flawlessly but a lot of crap sticks to the grease and makes the eventual cleaning a pain.

I have heard that excess and incorrect lube can accumulate particles that act like an abrasive. Thus, some lubing has the exact opposite effect as intended.

I would, and have, contacted manufacturers and asked to speak to their armorer about where, how much, and what to use as lube.

Whenever I buy a new firearm I inspect it in an attempt to determine the factory lube points.

If you ever have an opportunity to inspect a new Glock, you'll see what I mean. Google "Glock gold grease" and you will see the factory lube which looks copper/gold.

Thanks for helpful info. Just wondering what you find better for cleaning shotguns the pull through sock or brush kit I have a brush kit but it could do with replacing and just wondering would I better off with getting a sock kit?

I like the Bore snakes for shotguns and rifles for a quick clean.They can be chucked in the washing machine to be cleaned.For somthing abit more through and that can be taken into the field without eating up space ,the OTIS kits are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

+1 on using a light grease type lube instead of oil on a semi auto shotgun. It took my a while to find the one that siuted my Beretta best but I haven't had a jam since I started using it. Also if anyone has seen the Tunet cartridges that Ardee Sports recently imported keep them out of your semi unless you want to spend the rest of the day cleaning the gunk out of it.

Advertisement