Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ADSL Broadband Provider Sligo? (Best Upload Speed)

Options
  • 18-07-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello All,
    I want to improve my ADSL BB upload speed and am wondering which is the best internet provider for fastest upload

Currently with Vodafone I am getting an average of 0.51 Mbit/s upload speed, 0.65 Mbit/s peak and 10Mbit/s download

Both Sligo and Collooney towns both close to me have Fiber Optic but it will likely be a year or more before we receive it in my location, ballygawley around 6 miles out of Sligo town

In the meantime who do you think is the best provider?

Yesterday it took me 4hrs to upload a 1GB HD video to youtube! If I could get at least 1 or 2Mbit/s it would greatly help with upload speeds

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Jason

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Can you get UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

personaly, I would look up how to reduce video size before uploading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jasonmc123

@T-Bird I am experienced with optimising video files, for this particular 1080P video of nature if I reduced the Bitrate any more quality would have dropped but thank you for your suggestion
    Usually video files I upload are much smaller than this around 100 to 300MB, however for wide HD shots of nature a higher Bitrate is essential for best quality

@Buford I think UPC is only Fiber Optic and not ADSL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I dont think you are going to get faster uploads speeds until your network is upgraded. Have you checked to see if youre in the catchment area for SIRO when it launches in Sligo?

No matter if you go with Vodafone, Eircom whatever, they are all using the same line and the upload speed is generally pitiful.

Have you checked 3G speeds in your area? I used to be stuck in the middle of nowhere and I would often user my mobile to upload large data files. 3 mobile have ALL YOU CAN EAT DATA so you wouldnt have to worry about how much you uploaded. I would be able to get up to 5Mb upload speed on it which is way better than you have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

jasonmc123 wrote: »
    @T-Bird I am experienced with optimising video files, for this particular 1080P video of nature if I reduced the Bitrate any more quality would have dropped but thank you for your suggestion
    Usually video files I upload are much smaller than this around 100 to 300MB, however for wide HD shots of nature a higher Bitrate is essential for best quality

@Buford I think UPC is only Fiber Optic and not ADSL

Is adsl a requirement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

jasonmc123 wrote: »

Sound. There are a few youtube videos for HANDBRAKE, stating it can reduce files without losing quality. Have not used it my self. But I will be converting a lot of videos soon and might give it a go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Mi1o

I think Vodafone in Sligo will be the fastest if we talking about upload speed but only VDSL2, my advice just get some 4G router and three prepay sim, they have all data you can eat if you topup by 20 euros, last time i was testing it was about 25 mbit upload in town, not sure how it's working outside but they have very good coverage.
    This is how Vodafone fibre is working for me:
    0JfTW4G.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Mi1o wrote: »
    I think Vodafone in Sligo will be the fastest if we talking about upload speed but only VDSL2, my advice just get some 4G router and three prepay sim, they have all data you can eat if you topup by 20 euros, last time i was testing it was about 25 mbit upload in town, not sure how it's working outside but they have very good coverage.
    This is how Vodafone fibre is working for me:
    0JfTW4G.png

I suggested using mobile data earlier, but I mentioned 3G because its highly unlikely he will get 4G. I live right nexto to Finisklin Industrial Estate and even that cannot get 4G from 3 network, well not inside the house anyway, I would need to have my phone in the window.

Advertisement