Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Rental Italy

Options
  • 18-07-2015 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi just enquiring about car rental in Italy, reading up on some horror stories while doing a bit of research. Any recommendations on a reputable company to use and do you have to have a credit card. Worked for a car hire company years ago and well most are gangsters lol. So would ideally pay bit extra to cover not having to pay any excess waiver if anything happened. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Greg81

Never had a problem. Used Hertz and Europcar few times. All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Greg81 wrote: »
    Never had a problem. Used Hertz and Europcar few times. All good.

+1 I know you're asking about Italy but a friend of mine is just back from Spain where a group of them hired 3 cars from Goldcar, supposedly to be picked up at Madrid airport. When they landed in Madrid, they were met by someone in arrivals who then bussed them 20-30 kms to a hotel where they met the Goldcar agent who demanded a €1,200 whack off each of the drivers' credit cards (one per car) as a deposit, despite the fact they had had ticked the box and supposedly paid in advance for full (collision damage waiver) insurance. When they declined to make this deposit, they were forced to take out another level of insurance, a complete rip-off with hidden charges!

Another reason to stay with the big boys. I've used Hertz and Europcar in France and never had to pay a cent beyond what it said on the booking screen. It's advisable to have a credit card. If you offer a debit card (assuming they will accept it), some hire companies will take a large amount of money out of your account and you won't get it back for a few weeks, could leave you short of spending money on your holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 I know you're asking about Italy but a friend of mine is just back from Spain where a group of them hired 3 cars from Goldcar, supposedly to be picked up at Madrid airport. When they landed in Madrid, they were met by someone in arrivals who then bussed them 20-30 kms to a hotel where they met the Goldcar agent who demanded a €1,200 whack off each of the drivers' credit cards (one per car) as a deposit, despite the fact they had had ticked the box and supposedly paid in advance for full (collision damage waiver) insurance. When they declined to make this deposit, they were forced to take out another level of insurance, a complete rip-off with hidden charges!

In Europe, collision damage waiver insurance has €1000+ excess and companies will always hold this amount on your card unless you buy the excess insurance. If they hadn't boiught the excess insurance they should have expected the credit card hold although it should have been only one card not everyones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Exupsam

Thanks folks, ya going to stick with a main company. goldcar was among the horror stories read. id rather pay the bit extra for insurance to cover the excess

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In Europe, collision damage waiver insurance has €1000+ excess and companies will always hold this amount on your card unless you buy the excess insurance. If they hadn't boiught the excess insurance they should have expected the credit card hold although it should have been only one card not everyones.

It wasn't a 'hold' they were asked to sign on the credit card, it was an actual charge so they would have all come home to find a €1,200 item on their next credit card bill. Even if they got a refund within 28 days, they would have had to stump up the money to clear the next CC bill or be zapped with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I used Maggiore (from Pisa to Naples) last month. Booked through Auto Europe. A good bit cheaper than the others and we had no problems at all. Car was practically brand new too (4k mileage on it). Had excess deposit hold put on card all right but think thats normal!

Advertisement