Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners ruin serenity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Jaysus wept. People were running and walking up Croagh Patrick long before gods and religions arrived to these shores. Sure, the erosion caused by pilgrims, runners and hikers is worrying, but you need to take a proactive approach to addressing it, rather than excluding one of the groups that contributes to the damage, while allowing the pilgrims and walkers to continue the pattern of damage. I'd imagine that the runners and the walkers are amongst the better off the conservationists, embracing philosophies like 'leave no trace', while those who travel far afield for the annual pilgrimage jump onto their bus as soon as their walk is done, leaving behind a trail of tinfoil-wrapped sandwiches and empty bottles of holy water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Which one of these activities will make you feel awesome:
    A) mountain running
    B) praying

It's a toughie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Which one of these activities will make you feel awesome:
    A) mountain running
    B) praying

It's a toughie

Sometimes when mountain running I ask God for help so that's kinda doing A and B:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I should've included
    C) reading the Irish times

Just to cover all possibilities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

"These ultra-runners may be super in fitness terms, but they are also selfish exhibitionists, not content with wrecking their own joints and family life through their constant long training sessions, but also prepared to disproportionately contribute to the erosion of what Fr King called “nature’s greatest cathedral of the west”, commonly known as the Reek."

-Ehhh, fcuk off tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

I think the article was probably written tongue-in-cheek in response to the priest's ridiculous comments. At least I hope so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

An_Reathai wrote: »
    I think the article was probably written tongue-in-cheek in response to the priest's ridiculous comments. At least I hope so...

I thought so too ...

And a quick google brings up another article ;) :

http://www.norway.ie/News_and_events/Events/Norwegian-author-Thor-Gotaas-at-Mountains-to-Sea-dlr-Book-Festival/#.VaqPVSpViko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So he calls himself, or lets himself be called anyway, an avid runner and he writes that shoite?

I don't get it, up until now I saw him as an intelligent man, but is he putting his devotion to the church first or something? I wouldn't think he's like that, it's just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So he calls himself, or lets himself be called anyway, an avid runner and he writes that shoite?

Irony! Also known as taking the p*ss

(maybe a bit too subtle this time ... )

Irony! Also known as taking the p*ss

(maybe a bit too subtle this time ... )

There's nothing subtle about something that's not there. If it's meant to be ironic it's still an incredibly bad piece of writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

1000 strong congregation ? In Westport ? I wouldn't think so, it wasn't the Pope saying mass.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    1000 strong congregation ? In Westport ? I wouldn't think so, it wasn't the Pope saying mass.
    That was the one comment that made me question whether or not it was an ironic piece. They'd have greater numbers in their congregation if they said mass before the start of the Croagh Patrick IMRA race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Oh come on ... It's funny and meant to be so. Read in with a bishop Brennen voice ( reference. father ted in case anyone is reaching for google)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Oh come on ... It's funny and meant to be so. Read in with a bishop Brennen voice ( reference. father ted in case anyone is reaching for google)

Totally. It's quite funny how anyone would read it in any other way. He's a runner himself and is totally taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Ososlo wrote: »
    Totally. It's quite funny how anyone would read it in any other way. He's a runner himself and is totally taking the piss.

Maybe, but it should still be factually correct. No way there was 1000 people in the congregation. Drop a zero and it's still a stretch.

Honestly, it's not a bit funny, and if it was meant to be it's a spectacular failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Funny how some people missed the point and are now too embarrassed to admit it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Religious loopers being whiny. What's new?

Smartguy wrote: »
    The article may be tongue in cheek, but the subject matter of the article is not.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/priest-calls-for-closure-of-eroded-croagh-patrick-peak-1.2252940

To be fair to Fr. King, he's also calling out to have the annual pilgrimages postponed, until restorative work has been carried out, so his heart seems to be in the right place. The 'ironic' piece of journalism has kind of sensationalised the whole thing and skewed the viewpoints.

Smartguy wrote: »

I'm not embarrassed to admit anything, it's an awfully written op piece that itself is confused as to what it's trying to be. If it's satire it's more by accident than design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Reminds me of a group that are trying to stop trailing running in the US of some famous trails for similar reasons. The group that are trying to stop it ride horses on those trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Maybe, but it should still be factually correct. No way there was 1000 people in the congregation. Drop a zero and it's still a stretch.

In fairness, we have a big church in Westport. We're down to three masses on a Sunday, lots of tourists attend and there's a large Polish community. Add in a celebrity preacher like Tony King and well, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Running ruins serenity? Is there a count somewhere for wars caused, running vs religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

snailsong wrote: »
    In fairness, we have a big church in Westport. We're down to three masses on a Sunday, lots of tourists attend and there's a large Polish community. Add in a celebrity preacher like Tony King and well, you never know.

Don't be showin' off......

Our church in Galway is way bigger. There isn't enough hours in the day do do all the masses that out congregation requires. We now have a lottery system for entry, but there is now a webcam which can be viewed for a small donation.
    We can't get enough of mass.... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

martyboy48 wrote: »

Our church in Galway is way bigger. There isn't enough hours in the day do do all the masses that out congregation requires. We now have a lottery system for entry, but there is now a webcam which can be viewed for a small donation.

Good-for-age entries maybe?

The only bit in the article that hinted at comedy for me was the runners should do a "modest 5km, or 10km on a hard day" bit. I thought to myself, what would Enduro say to that? :)

Reading the last line of the article doesn't strike me as someone being satirical. "... Leave the reek for those who seek serenity in hurried noisy Ireland"

martyboy48 wrote: »

Most of us go to all three, myself and Ultrapercy sit in the first pew. That Tony King, he gives great mass.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

chrislad wrote: »
    Running ruins serenity? Is there a count somewhere for wars caused, running vs religion?

Murders caused because of running: 0
    Murders caused because of religion: millions if not hitting a billion by now (if not more)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

snailsong wrote: »

Between massive church's and blessing the roads to stop deaths on the roads, Mayo has all the cool religious stuff :pac:

Cabaal wrote: »
    Between massive church's and blessing the roads to stop deaths on the roads, Mayo has all the cool religious stuff :pac:

Have you heard of the sacred stump, it's a class three holy site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

SERENITY NOW!!!

Advertisement