Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking to be fired?

Options
  • 18-07-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Weird question here. I'm quitting my job (unskilled dead-end work) to go back to college and build a career before it's too late. I've been accepted to a course and am starting in September. I can survive between grants and benefits, but I just found out that if I leave work I have to wait 9 weeks before I can claim anything, whereas if I were fired, I could claim straight away.

So the question is, if I asked my manager to do me the favour of firing me, would they be able to do it from a legal standpoint? Obviously nobody can say whether or not the company would be willing, but I don't want to go in there and ask if they are legally not allowed.

I know this all sounds extreme, and many of you may not approve, but I have to do this for myself before it's too late.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not in any way that would not leave them open for you to potentially come back and sue them over it but if you've been there less than 12 months they could possibly get around it but it would still be risky from a business stand point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

They say that but I've walked out of jobs an got benefits immediately. I dont think they check up on it. Just say you were left go due to lack of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

As said above they'd be wide open legally.

As an employer I didn't do it when I was asked

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

So basically you want your employer to faciltate welfare fraud??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭horse7

You may be better off asking the question what can I do or not do to get fired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Just don't show up, if they don't fire ye and still pay ye then let me know where it is and I'll work for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Op, you have to be unemployed something like 9 months to be eligible for benefits while attenting college (back to education allowance). So even if you manage to get benefits straight away, you'll have to stop them in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Op, you have to be unemployed something like 9 months to be eligible for benefits while attenting college (back to education allowance). So even if you manage to get benefits straight away, you'll have to stop them in September.

I assume He/She is looking for the dole until they get a grant. Grant I can understand, leaving a dead end job and having society support you I can also understand and frankly support myself. Not wanting to work in said dead end job until college rocks around in September (presumably because it's sunny - occasionally - and €188 a week buys a few pints) is just being a bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

If you talk with the manager, I'm sure that they'll let you go without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

back2ed wrote: »
    I just found out that if I leave work I have to wait 9 weeks before I can claim anything, whereas if I were fired, I could claim straight away

Not true. You may also be disqualified for 9 weeks if you're sacked.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Can you leave and then go to the community welfare officer to get a payment for the nine weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

petes wrote: »
    Can you leave and then go to the community welfare officer to get a payment for the nine weeks?

A CWO will only give you a payment if you are eligible for it, but not getting it yet due to administrative hold-ups. They exist to make the system faster, not to get around the rules.

Sorry OP, but I'd guess you'll need to keep working 'til college starts. Hope your first grant payment comes through quickly enough for you.

fyi, many students continue to work in so-called dead-end jobs part time for most of their time in college. This is something you might need to look at, too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

You don't know how lucky you are. I haven't been able to secure myself even a dead end job despite sending out over 200 applications so I've had to go back and do an honours degree to spruce up my cv. Apparently an ordinary degree is not sufficient to secure an entry level position these days.

I continued working while I did my first degree which was many years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

A CWO will only give you a payment if you are eligible for it, but not getting it yet due to administrative hold-ups. They exist to make the system faster, not to get around the rules.

I've been on welfare once and only going by personal experience. I walked out of my job and told them that. The CWO gave me the payment for about 6 weeks until my actual payments started.

Advertisement