Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Preserving vintage car prior to restoration

Options
  • 18-07-2015 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm looking for some advice on what's best to do in the following situation or if anybody has any previous experience, please share it with me.

My father has a Ford Anglia in the shed which has been awaiting a full restoration for a number of years. It was previously stored at an old friends house who covered the body in waste engine oil to preserve it. This has done a good job, however in the past year or two the oil has worn off along some areas and there is rust coming through the paint. Some of the paint has sort of flaked off in these areas and there are some rusty pitted marks showing. He doesn't have the time at the moment to undertake a restoration but we need to spend a day or two to do something that will continue to preserve it and ensure the project doesn't become any bigger than it already is!

As far as I can see, there are no actual rust holes around the body. I was therefore considering power washing the car fully to get the remaining waste oil off of the body and then sanding down the whole body. I was then looking at some kind of a rust converting primer (http://www.rust.co.uk/custom-421-rust-proofing-primer/c32736/ or similar). The plan is to put a coat of this primer on it after sanding and let it sit in that for a few years. This could then be sanded off when the complete restoration is starting.

What would people think of this? Has anybody any experience they can share which might help?

Thanks in advance for any replies or assistance, it's much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You're probably only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If it's got surface rust, having been stored indoors, it's likely got lots more hidden. If there's a power source in the shed, just treat the surface rust where you've seen it - without going near the rest of the body, or sanding anywhere you don't absolutely have to (which is probably everywhere), use waxoyl/dinitrol/ bilt hamber in any cavities, and stick the car into a carcoon storage bubble. It'll circulate air around the car to limit any further rust, and keep it as-is for years (but rust never sleeps - it'll just rust a lot more slowly).

Carcoon, or no carcoon, do the minimum of exposing metal to the elements, even if you intend putting primer on. The safest and cheapest approach is just to let the original paint do it's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

HG rust remover, just paint it on neat with a brush and leave it.
    It forms a protective coating.

http://www.hardwareireland.ie/product/HG-Rust-Remover-500ml-2481/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Fertan , Vactan or Rust Remedy...........and re treat as required until resto.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

There's a diary of Triumph Spitfire rebuild here which describes some of the products he used and the pitfalls that may be encountered. It's a ground up restoration though so may be more detailed than what you are looking for!

Advertisement