Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

martial arts for a 6 year old

Options
  • 18-07-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. We've a six year old boy and I want to get him involved in a sport. He loves swimming but I'd like something else for him too. He has very poor muscle tone, balance and coordination and has improved massively since we started seeing an OT and physio and is doing daily exercises. We tried little rugby last year but its just not for him - he just ran around totally aimlessly. I started thinking that maybe he likes of taekwondo would be good for him - both to help his core and also for his personality - he's more of a quiet little guy than a loud physical boy. He's also mad into the teenage mutant ninja turtles so he'd probably think he's just really cool too!!

Anyway, I suppose I'm just for and advice and guidance? Would he be too young? Would it improve his core (no doubt I'd imagine!) could anyone recommend anywhere? (I'm based in Rathfarnham) is there another form of martial arts I should explore??

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭swpb

highly1111 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. We've a six year old boy and I want to get him involved in a sport. He loves swimming but I'd like something else for him too. He has very poor muscle tone, balance and coordination and has improved massively since we started seeing an OT and physio and is doing daily exercises. We tried little rugby last year but its just not for him - he just ran around totally aimlessly. I started thinking that maybe he likes of taekwondo would be good for him - both to help his core and also for his personality - he's more of a quiet little guy than a loud physical boy. He's also mad into the teenage mutant ninja turtles so he'd probably think he's just really cool too!!

Anyway, I suppose I'm just for and advice and guidance? Would he be too young? Would it improve his core (no doubt I'd imagine!) could anyone recommend anywhere? (I'm based in Rathfarnham) is there another form of martial arts I should explore??

My little boy is same age and sounds like your sons quiet persona also. I'm looking a kaizen kids they are based next to lidl in terenure . Hth

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭swpb

swpb wrote: »
    My little boy is same age and sounds like your sons quiet persona also. I'm looking a kaizen kids they are based next to lidl in terenure . Hth

Sorry it's called kaizen dojo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I started thinking that maybe he likes of taekwondo would be good for him - both to help his core and also for his personality - he's more of a quiet little guy than a loud physical boy. He's also mad into the teenage mutant ninja turtles so he'd probably think he's just really cool too!!

With a kid that young the most important thing is not the art but the club & instructor (actually it's true for most people . . . but training a 6yo is difficult to do as the 'standard' type of class just won't hold their interest). I know Brendan Perry's Kaizen Dojo that swpb mentioned and they have an excellent track record with teaching kids (not sure how young they'll accept).

Personally I think for a 6yo judo is a better MA to start them with. Plenty of tactile training which is easier for kids that age, and it certainly will develop the core muscles. There are no punches or kicks in judo so maybe after a while he may want to take on Taekwondo or karate or similar, but I'd leave that until he's 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭StcIreland

Hi

Hi you should try come to Spartan MMA on the belgard road.

we have classes on twice a week for his age group, wednesday and friday 5-6 pm and our kids classes are on a pay as you go basis

we teach the kids wrestling and bits of jiu jitsu at that age and our warm up will definitely involve core balance and co ordination

if you would like any more information you can pm me :)

Regards

Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭paul moran

We are based in Deansgrange (and soon to be in Bray too). http://www.kungfu4kids.ie/ :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement