Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody using Weimaraners for hunting

Options
  • 16-07-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

hello all
    just wondering if anyone is uaing a weinaraner for hunting. how do you find yours. I have one and really impressed with her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I have one aswell I don't use her for game hunting. I just bring her stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

ya we originally got her as a gard dog but she has came with our springers doin some heavy cover and is working really well. id love to get a few pups out of her do you know any studs??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I wanted to have one as I think they're really good looking dogs and are very well built but was warned that good hunting weimareners as gun dogs are few and far between and is extremely hard to get them to work. They're quite stubborn I was told.
    Which is a shame as they're beautiful dogs.
    But I'm sure a very experienced dog man could do great work with them and it'd be worth it

My one is a great dog. She is natural and hunting deer she has already found four for with no training at all. But I have to say she is ****ing wired mad. Very hard to keep quite while out but when the shot goes off she is the dog for the job.
    Haven said she is still young I'm led to believe they will be 3 before they calm down. And she is great with the kids now aswell.

My one is a great dog. She is natural and hunting deer she has already found four for with no training at all. But I have to say she is ****ing wired mad. Very hard to keep quite while out but when the shot goes off she is the dog for the job.
    Haven said she is still young I'm led to believe they will be 3 before they calm down. And she is great with the kids now aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What is she like with other dogs?
    Reason why I ask is I've seen quite a few being aggressive towards other dogs

My one to be fair is grand but she's a she aswell I know a lad with a dog and he can be abit wirey at times but I wouldn't say aggressive.

The only thing I find is the wiemaraner has so much energy and are very fast and strong it's very easy for other dogs to get tired and contrary which will then to cause a dominating question.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Forty Watt

Have a 2 yr neutered male and can see similarities with comments so far. By way of comparison I also have a 5yr old GWP neutered male. Weim has a very dominant nature and requires an understanding of dog psychology to keep focussed. I will only use for deer stalking so its relatively easier than full working/retrieving training.

The hunting gene literally "kicked in" at about 20 months. Proper interest and following a specific ground and air scent of a hind. Prior to that it was all just scent. Dog has a really good nose but is only learning that its deer we are interested in. I also hear that they mature 3+ years so its still early days.

Training to heel or sit/stay is easier with age. Also when combined training with GWP the Weim listens, understands and then does what it likes. Once the subject of food is mentioned it goes straight back and sits exactly where it was supposed to. Highlighting its smart but good at giving me two fingers with a yawn.

With regard to food I have only once seen it stop eating and that was when it simply could not fit anything else in. So food motivation is strong.

Other owners have told me they cannot leave their dog in different room (these would be city dogs as pets) without howling and room destruction. Mine was raised outside with other dogs so is more independent.

Aggression. Yes is my experience. But seems to be based on nervousness. Reassurance by means of being pack leader prevents it. Also they do need physical exercise and mental stimulation in equal measure.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Advertisement