Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Duty Free Alcohol to US with a Layover

Options
  • 16-07-2015 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Heading to the west coast of USA and wanted to buy 2 litre bottles of spirits in Duty Free.

Problem is, I have a layover in Philadelphia. I'm just wondering if I buy the spirits in Dublin will I be allowed to bring them through to my next flight? I don't know yet whether or not I will have to change terminal. If I did have to go through security again I'm unsure whether they allow that amount of liquids in hand luggage even if I bought them duty free.

I'm looking to buy nice stuff as a gift so really don't want to lose them during the layover.

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you allowed two litres of spirits duty free?

Where are you going through customs? You should be able to (carefully) put the bottles in your checked-in baggage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

Victor wrote: »
    Are you allowed two litres of spirits duty free?

Where are you going through customs? You should be able to (carefully) put the bottles in your checked-in baggage there.

AFAIK two litres is ok, I assume I'll be going through customs at the pre-clearance in Dublin airport and the checked-in baggage will get checked through to San Francisco automatically ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Duffman K wrote: »
    AFAIK two litres is ok, I assume I'll be going through customs at the pre-clearance in Dublin airport and the checked-in baggage will get checked through to San Francisco automatically ?

When checking in your bag in Dublin you'll have to tell them that you want to pull the bag off the carousel in Philly, then you put the bottles in the bag and check it in for the second flight. All of which will make the transfer a lot more complicated and laborious. That's probably the only way you'll be able to get those two bottles on to the west coast.

There is a facility by which the goods you buy in duty-free can be placed in sealed bags but I'm not sure if that will be acceptable to the TSA agents in US airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP - Are you flying on US airways? A few months ago, I did Dublin to Philly to SF with them. My flight from Dublin landed at a domestic gate. As I had already pre cleared customs and immigration in Dublin, I then walked to my SF gate, without having to pass thru any more security checkpoints.

The SF flight did technically leave from another terminal, but to get to it, I just had to walk down a couple of hallways on a moving escalator. I didn't have to physically leave the international arrivals terminal building, exit to the outside and then re enter another terminal building, that had additional security check points. I didn't have any duty free on me, but if I did, I wouldn't have had any problems taking it on my flight to SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Since the pre clearance at Dublin airport typcially you enter a secure area in US when you are on connecting flights and so there won't be an additional liquids or security check once you leave Dublin. Ask them to seal the bag in Dublin airport duty free in the tamper proof bag also to be sure.

On a side note as far as I know the limit is 1 litre entering the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

Thanks for all the replies, think I'll give it a go at Dublin airport and get them sealed, maybe ask the person in the shop what they think too.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP - Are you flying on US airways? A few months ago, I did Dublin to Philly to SF with them. My flight from Dublin landed at a domestic gate, as I had already pre cleared customs and immigration in Dublin, I then walked to my SF gate, without having to pass thru any more security checkpoint.

Yes that's it exactly, cheers sounds promising

No probs. I rarely buy duty free, so I am no expert, but don't the sales staff in the duty free shops, take your boarding pass and scan it at point of purchase? They know what the limits are & they won't sell you more booze than the country that you are going to allows you to bring in. So if the limit for the US is 1 litres, they won't sell you 2 litres...or do I have that all wrong?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No probs. I rarely buy duty free, so I am no expert, but don't the sales staff in the duty free shops, take your boarding pass and scan it at point of purchase? They know what the limits are & they won't sell you more booze than the country that you are going to allows you to bring in. So if the limit for the US is 1 litres, they won't sell you 2 litres...or do I have that all wrong?:o
    You are entitled to import products into countries, declare them and pay duty on them, if demanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Duffman K wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, think I'll give it a go at Dublin airport and get them sealed, maybe ask the person in the shop what they think too.

Yes that's it exactly, cheers sounds promising

You'll be fine.

I do this fairly regularly. Once the bags are all sealed correctly you won't have any issues.

I'd advise getting each bottle bagged individually. Depending on the layover (seems to vary from airport to airport) security may open the bags and test the bottles.

FYI don't buy something in a super dark bottle (like hendricks gin) If the TSA decide to test a bottle and if their testing machine cant shine light through the bottle they'll take it off you. This was explained to me by a super helpful TSA officer back in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes they do scan your boarding pass but I think this is more of a way to let the sale go through to confirm duty free is allowed for the destination. I've purchased more than my allowance a couple of times, no issue or mention of any from the cashiers.

Oh ok, fair enough. I didn't know that. I've never really bothered buying duty free. Couldn't be arsed hauling heavy bottles around the place.

Advertisement