Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutima Fliegerchronograph 1941

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They and the originals are a very cool looking watch with a very cool history among WW2 pilots. Steve McQueen wore one too and wore it way more than ever wore the Heuer he's associated with(which he wore for a few weeks of a film shoot). I'd prefer one to the Stowa TBH, but that's just me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

What's not to like. Make sure you buy a good secondhand one; Tutima's price rises in recent years seem to be out-Swissing the Swiss.

03102014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »
    They and the originals are a very cool looking watch with a very cool history among WW2 pilots. Steve McQueen wore one too and wore it way more than ever wore the Heuer he's associated with(which he wore for a few weeks of a film shoot). I'd prefer one to the Stowa TBH, but that's just me.

Did the original have the same bezel

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For a little over 300 quid there also would be the Russian version

$_12.JPG
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=ruscamera&hash=item3aa95a7cd9&item=251949382873&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xkirova.TRS0&_nkw=kirova&_sacat=0

Which in this case actually isn't a fake, but the remake of the original Kirova chrono which was made with UROFA/Tutima calibers shortly after WW2.

The movements (together with most of the factory to make them) had been brought to the USSR from Germany as reparations.

The remake of course is powerd by the more modern 3133 chrono caliber

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Did the original have the same bezel
    Yep, here's one(Glashutte, there was also a Hanhart):

article-2598786-1CE68A8400000578-337_306x398.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

only 39mm though...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Stowa for me definitely
    I'm not a fan of the tutima

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I think McQueen wore the Hanhart. Apparently he wasn't a very nice guy in real life, he's done wonders for some watch brand prices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

only 39mm though...

Make your mind up :p. The domed sapphire on this help to make it wear a bit bigger but that is the size. Tutima have made some larger versions of their classic chronograph style but obviously not an absolutely richtig 1941. I don't like them much (as if that matters) and I suspect they'll be more difficult to track down at a reasonable price.
    I think McQueen wore the Hanhart.

That's my understanding as well.

Advertisement