Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem in work

Options
  • 16-07-2015 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been sick for the past 6 months, I've being doing a lot of tests on an off and taken a few days here and there, mainly for tests and seeing consultants. Any time I was actually sick i called in sick and worked from home. I have worked here for 2.5 years and worked a hell of a lot of overtime for the first 2 years and done a lot of work which appeared to be valued in wage increases.

I was brought to A and E about 2 weeks ago out of it pretty bad, on a thursday. I told my friend who works here to notify my boss which is fine. I then had to take 2 weeks off to recover, I was quite unwell.

I am back this week (i was pushing my GP to go back as soon as i could). My boss called me in yesterday and told me any medical appointments I have to take from now on come out of holidays. That includes a biopsy I am scheduled for this friday? I will have ongoing tests and appointments in the coming months.

I am just wondering if this is the norm? I feel very hard done by considering the amount of overtime and working while on sick leave over the past 2.5 years.

I also know of atleast 2 people who had procedures and operations done in the last year who were allowed take these as sick leave and did not have to use up their holidays. I just need some perspective about whether I am in the right feeling hard done by really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Sounds like they've made this decision because of the time you've already taken off as sick leave. The same happened to me after an operation in a previous job. For a while it was OK and then suddenly any follow ups had to come out of my holidays. I hadn't many thankfully, but it sounds like you might. I would think it is standard enough practice but others will confirm.

As for the overtime, it's already forgotten about by everyone but you unfortunately.

Hope the biopsy results are good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

• Registered Users Posts: 25,691 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As per the Citizen's Advice link, there's a law which says that an employer cannot force an employee to use annual leave when they are sick.

But:

Irish employment law doesn't provide for any right to sick leave (permission to not attend work because you are sick) - paid or otherwise. This pretty much means that employers are free to make up their own policies in this area.

Virtally all employers do allow sick leave in practise. Many will let you use it for doctors appointments, even if you are not actually so sick that you cannot work at the time.

However some do not provide paid sick leave,

Of companies that do have paid sick leave, most have a limit to the number of days you can take (eg 5 per year, not carried over).

Also, some companies have a policy that you aren't allowed to use annual leave when you are sick. Their "logic" is that annual leave is for rest and recreation, which you don't get when you're sick. This totally the fact that being without income while sick is lot more stressful than will be relieved by any paid holiday later on. So some companies will ALLOW you to use annual leave if you have no paid sick leave left, even though the cannot force you to.

OP, I've also had consultant appointments, tests and a procedure this year - and was surprised to be allowed to use sick leave for all of them. But combined with getting a minor version of the flu early on, I've used all this year's sick leave. For my last consultant appointment, I took annual leave, and didn't tell them what it was for: if they knew it was a doctors appointment, they may have insisted that I take unpaid leave instead. And I've got my fingers crossed that I don't get sick again this year.

Good luck with your tests/treatment.

Advertisement