Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re directing traffic between websites

Options
  • 16-07-2015 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Is there a "simple" solution to this problem.....
    I have a UK based fully hosted merchant enabled website. I also have a small Irish company doing the same thing and rather than set up a completely identical site in Ireland with all the cost and time to administer I just want a domain page which will redirect enquiries to the UK site where customers can trade in Euro or sterling.
    I have a registered Irish domain. I just need the webpage to set up and divert the traffic.

?? Many thanks - please keep it in laymans language!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dgerryd

It really depends on what your trying to achieve ? Are you trying to convince people to the UK site for traffic reasons or is it a case of a UX approach ? Either way this is not major but the modern way of doing this would be for your irish site www.mysite.ie and for your UK www.mysite.ie/uk with this approach you would only have one site but targeting both GEO locations.

Edit: Just read the post again and saw "I have a registered Irish domain. I just need the webpage to set up and divert the traffic." you could do this easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

stick this in the index.htlm/php of the Irish site (or something like it - you can flesh it out) the ""refresh" content="5;" means that it will auto redirect in 5 seconds - you can change that

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Shop Redirect</title>
    <META http-equiv="refresh" content="5;URL=http://www.uksite.co.uk"&gt;
    </head>
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <center>You are being redirected to our Merchant site
    </center>
    </body>
    </html>

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Depending on who you've registered your .ie domain with, just look up how they handle "domain forwarding" and it'll guide you through exactly how to do it. (Here's a sample guide from the guys over at Blacknight that will be similar for any others using cPanel)

Ignoring the question actually asked and digging a little deeper...

Why have you set up the .ie domain and what are you hoping to achieve with it?

If it's just to protect your brand and avoid anyone setting up in direct competition here in Ireland, domain forwarding is fine. If it's to actually achieve any ranking benefits here in Ireland however you'll probably be disappointed.

dgerryd wrote: »
    Either way this is not major but the modern way of doing this would be for your irish site www.mysite.ie and for your UK www.mysite.ie/uk with this approach you would only have one site but targeting both GEO locations.
    This would be a fine solution, and in many cases it is, but might not be available under your current setup.

".ie" is a ccTLD (country code top level domain) that will be geotargeted to Ireland. This means you receive a ranking boost for searches where Google believe the local factor is relevant to the search intent and provide a personalisation of results.

If the UK site you're using is ".co.uk" it'd be a similar scenario, with the geotargeting pointing at the UK. Having a .ie domain forwarded to the UK site wouldn't change that targeting and wouldn't assist in any Irish searches.

For ccTLDs like this you can't geotarget subdirectories to individual countries in this manner (except for a handful of exceptions where ccTLDs are treated as gTLDs).

If you did want a single site to target multiple locations for rankings you'd either need to take a hit on the geotargeting side of things (so use the .co.uk domain to try and reach the Irish customers, but knowing you're at a slight ranking disadvantage due to targeting and will get filtered out of certain results because of this) or change your setup. There are multiple ways you could change the setup there (the most obvious being a move to a gTLD or generic top level domain), but without going into far more detail about the business and the goals we'd struggle to give any meaningful advice there as there's no generic answer that's optimal for everyone.

If you're not worried about the implications of simply redirecting the Irish users (which would appear to be the case from the original question & in many scenarios is a perfectly fine solution), you can just go ahead with the domain forwarding without any further issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dgerryd

What PaulPinnacle said but it also depends :)

Advertisement