Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found a bird

Options
  • 16-07-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

My son found a bird tonight, it seems very fatigued or injured, we put it in a shoe box with some water and seeds, there are lots of foxes and cats around here so it probably wouldn't be alive in morning I think it is a swallow but not sure!
    Bird.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Looks like a swallow from his head.put the box up high and hope he makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's a Swift and certainly won't eat seeds. If it's still alive this morning best left back where it was found and let nature take its course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Please return it to where you found it, as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Fair play to you OP but that species of bird won't survive in your care. They feed on insects on the wing. As others have said, put it back as high as possible. Well done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I just found a hawk trying to eat what looked like a small dove. (in bushes)
    The hawk flew off and the dove had some blood on its back.. mainly above his left wing.
    My dad said the hawk would return as soon as I left and that I should move the bird about 20 yards.
    I didn't want to touch it because of the wounds. I hope it survives!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

PeteK* wrote: »
    I just found a hawk trying to eat what looked like a small dove. (in bushes)
    The hawk flew off and the dove had some blood on its back.. mainly above his left wing.
    My dad said the hawk would return as soon as I left and that I should move the bird about 20 yards.
    I didn't want to touch it because of the wounds. I hope it survives!

The hawk deserves it's meal in my opinion. No doubt it has already done sufficient damage to the dove that it won't survive anyway. Just let nature take it's course. It may be tough to watch sometimes, but the hawk has to eat aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Boils my blood when people try to save an animal that's been preyed upon.
    It's circle of life. Worst part is when people stop a bop from killing a prey animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nature ain't fluffy. It works best when we stay out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Boils my blood when people try to save an animal that's been preyed upon.
    It's circle of life. Worst part is when people stop a bop from killing a prey animal.
    I agree with ThunderCat and I didn't actually go near it.

I scared the hawk off by mistake and just felt bad for the other bird. I left it where it was and didn't touch it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

PeteK* wrote: »
    I agree with ThunderCat and I didn't actually go near it.

I scared the hawk off by mistake and just felt bad for the other bird. I left it where it was and didn't touch it at all.
    I understood that from your original post but just saying in general that it's wrong for people to interfere with a bop and it's prey.
    Too many times I've heard people scaring a bop off it's prey and then it's prey later dies so basically it died for nothing and goes to waste and that bop will then kill another bird leaving two prey animals dead and only one consumed for a purpose

• Advertisement
Advertisement