Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint Ownership Taxes

Options
  • 15-07-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

HI,

Myself and my girlfriend have decided to purchase a house. I will be inputting 65% of the deposit and she will be inputting 35% of the deposit. After this we will be splitting all costs equally and the ownership of the property will be 50/50.

Are we liable to pay taxes on the difference in the up front cost we are putting into the house?

Any advice on the taxes here are welcome. Is it advisable to speak to a tax advisor about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

What tax are you paying on a deposit exactly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What tax are you paying on a deposit exactly?

It seems that the OP is making worried that he is giving a gift to his girlfriend of 15% of the value of a deposit on a house and as such there may be a CAT issue.

Very conscientious of you OP. Theoretically your girlfriend could indeed be liabile to CAT on this basis.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

No.

OPs 50% share of the house is €x
    OPs Girlfiends 50% share of the house is €y

If they sell the house the proceeds are split 50:50

One makes a capital gain, the other makes a capital loss. But then it is exempt if it is PPR

dbran

Advertisement