Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ATP Ranking

• 15-07-2015 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I'm trying to get my head around how the APT rankings are calculated, and how players choose their tournaments. I've tried to get an understanding from the Wiki page but find it quite confusing...

How I understand it so far: Top 30 players are ranked from 18 tournaments; 12 Slams and Masters, and 6 of their best ATP 500/250/Davis Cup etc results. Anything beyond that does not count.

Outside of Top 30 I'm very unsure...18 of their best results regardless of ATP level? Are they obliged to be rated in certain tournaments?

I often hear of a player not "defending his points" at a tournament. Does that simply mean he didn't win as many points at a tournament this year as he did the previous year?

And finally...do players officially choose their tournaments for the whole ATP calendar at the start of the year? How far in advance do they "enter" themselves into a tournament?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I'm a bit fuzzy on some details but I'll answer some of your questions.
    Trine wrote: »
    I often hear of a player "not defending points" at a tournament. Does that simply mean he didn't win as many points at a tournament this year as he did the previous year?

Pretty much. If Djokovic doesn't win Wimbledon next year, he'll lose ranking points. It's why Dimitrov's ranking has dropped. His grass season was so good last year but he didn't equal or better his results to climb further.
    And finally...do players officially choose their tournaments for the whole ATP calendar at the start of the year? How far in advance do they "enter" themselves into a tournament?

Not sure but is it down to tournament director how far in advance or late a player enters a tournament?

I think most players pick their schedule at the start of the season. Then adjust if anything changes or they get injured. Players on tour for years (Federer, Haas, Nadal etc) don't have to play every compulsory tournament.

Advertisement