Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT or GAMSAT

Options
  • 15-07-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

I'm a longtime reader of this forum and find it great for advice and info. I would love to ask for some opinions on doing the gamsat exam or not. Basically I have always wanted to do medicine since I realised even what a job was. Throughout secondary school and TY I completed a number of different work placements in various healthcare settings and loved it. I completed the Hpat in 2009, and being entirely honestly I don't remember what score I got, only that I didn't get enough Hpat points to go with 590 LC points to get a place in medical school. At the time I was devastated and just thought I wasn't smart enough to be a doctor. I accepted a place in vet med. I suppose I was trying to be realistic /move on, but found that I still couldn't shake off the desire to do medicine. 6 years later, and having worked as a vet in practice in UK/US, I have decided to take on the challenge of getting into med school. I think more than anything, I am a realistic person going in with my eyes open to the difficulties facing those who pursue a career as a doc, but I have a strong passion for it. I can't really imagine being happy with anything else.
    I am working full time as a vet in the US and am trying my best to study for the gamsat this September, It is proving to be very difficult and only manage a few hours every few weeks. Would repeating the Hpat (either undergrad or mature entry) be a more realistic option without time to prepare for gamsat? I find the gamsat sample papers extremely difficult and tend to be weak at aptitude tests in general.
    Apologies for long post and thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Advertisement