Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch Squeaking Driving Me Mad

Options
  • 15-07-2015 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

My car is... Mitsubishi colt GL 1999.

Everytime I press in the clutch it makes a squeak noise and it's driving me around the bend, it's a bit stiff as well because it's dry. Is it easy for me to put some lubrication on the part myself ? or will I need to have a mechanic get under the car to lube it ?. If I can do it myself without getting under the car, in what exact location do I need to lube it.

Thanks

Bong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

It's probably the return spring at the pedal.
    Simple to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Spray some wd40 at mechanism under the pedal (make sure to not get any on the area where you put your foot!) and see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The squeak noise seems to be coming from the engine side though.

Will try under the pedal as was said to see now.

I sprayed at the mechanism under the pedal but still squeaking. It seems to be in the engine somewhere that the squeak is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

biko wrote: »
    Spray some wd40 at mechanism under the pedal (make sure to not get any on the area where you put your foot!) and see if that helps.

WD40 is not a lubricant it's only good for cleaning stuff, once it dries up it'll be worse than before as it will clean off any lubricant already on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Probably the fork at the bearing in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

WD40 is not a lubricant it's only good for cleaning stuff, once it dries up it'll be worse than before as it will clean off any lubricant already on there.
    It will show the OP that the issues resides in the pedal mechanism. He can then use lithium grease to address the issue proper.

I had no WD40 but I sprayed with 3-in-one multi purpose oil spray, that's all i had. Will get some good lube tomorrow and will try and locate the exact part in the engine that is squeaking. I'll get someone to pump the clutch so i can locate it properly as i don't have the service manual for this model.

If i can't get to the part then I'll just get the mechanic to do it under-side if it can only be done that way.

It has an annoying squeak every time I press that clutch and it sure as hell can drive a person mad. It's like one of those dog squeaky balls every time I press the clutch to change gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

biko wrote: »

wd40 will remove grease, you should use a good O Ring grease like this-

DOW CORNING MOLYKOTE 55 O-Ring Silicone Grease Lubricant Lube 5.3 oz Tube

Stick some into a syringe with a extension needle and put it into the clutch when fully extended, thus getting it the whole way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Doubt it's your pedal. Press it with the engine off and see. Noise only with the engine on would be your release bearing I reckon. Possibly an engine mount as you release the torsion on the engine. Hard to diagnose noises even when you can hear them!

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    Doubt it's your pedal. Press it with the engine off and see. Noise only with the engine on would be your release bearing I reckon. Possibly an engine mount as you release the torsion on the engine. Hard to diagnose noises even when you can hear them!

With the engine off it is the same noise. the same squeaky noise is the same with engine on and with engine off. lube needs to get into the clutch or/and it's connecting components as well. Going to have a good look tomorrow.

Advertisement