Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the right decision?

Options
  • 15-07-2015 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello

I have been employed as relief staff for the last 18 months in a position that I really enjoy. I am offered work based on when the agency needs me due to staff sick leave, annual leave etc. I am very flexible and tend to have solid hours each month despite being a relief contract. I have just completed my post-grad qualification so this type of contract has suited me until now.

The agency advertised a full time vacancy to replace someone leaving. Without naming too much, the work is therapeutic and really rewarding. It's in the field of where I'm qualified however I am overqualified for this role.

While I wait to become employed in the my field I need t work full time. Like most, I have loans and fees to repay. I got a call to offer me the full time job in my agency and I have expressed interest but will decide today. My manager knows I'm now qualified and asked if I would be sticking around long term to which I said yes. They also created a panel for future full time positions.

The issues is that the pay is not good for the work involved. I have also looking for jobs in my own field as I can work from September.
    The decision to take the full time role hasn't been sitting well with me as ultimately I took the full time job for mostly financial reasons. This feels I am furthering my own need while not being fully committed long term as I will be seeking employment in my field as it is substantially more money.

I'd appreciate any perspectives on whether I've made the right choice or not, or if anyone has been in a similar position. Should I take the full time as a means to an end and leave when something better comes along, even if it's in a couple of months?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Yes, in the workplace, always look after yourself first, no one else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,690 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

While I wait to become employed in the my field I need t work full time.

The decision to take the full time role hasn't been sitting well with me as ultimately I took the full time job for mostly financial reasons. This feels I am furthering my own need while not being fully committed long term as I will be seeking employment in my field as it is substantially more money.

Should I take the full time as a means to an end and leave when something better comes along, even if it's in a couple of months?

You answered your own question in your first sentence.

You need to work full time.

You cannot do so in your professional field until all your qualifications come through. So in the meantime you need to work somewhere. This could be the place where you are now - where you don't need induction, and where you will be up to speed with the work immediately. Or someplace else where you'd be leaving just as you got up to speed. Think of it that way, and it makes far more sense to stay where you are, and you're not exploiting anyone.

Pretty much all jobs are a means to an end (money to live on). Some have the added bonus of offering personal satisfaction too. But don't let that guilt you into making career decisions based on anything but what's best for you: if it didn't suit the company to hire you full time, knowing that you're now qualified and likely to look for better work, they wouldn't. And they wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over letting you go, either, if it didn't suit them.

Advertisement