Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new job - pregnant

Options
  • 14-07-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend has received a job offer for a one year teaching contract due to start in September.
    She is several months pregnant and has not received her new contract just yet.

Is it advisable to hold off telling the principal about the pregnancy (+need for maternity leave) until contract is signed and returned?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Is it primary or secondary?
    When is she due?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Is it primary or secondary?
    When is she due?

Due in January, secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

She mightn't get the written contract until well into September or October. September will be time enough to tell the principal, they will still have many months to organise a sub. Presumably she will start maternity leave at the start of December and run to the end of the school year.

Anyway if she is due in January, she must be barely 3 months at this stage. I'd say no rush just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

As Rainbowtrout said, no need to say anything this early.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 neia

Just a question to add to this. I'm due in December. Just offered a one year position. What is the deal with maternity pay with the Dept? Have been working casual for a few years. Am I entitled to any extra or just the standard social welfare one?? Many thanks xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

neia wrote: »
    Just a question to add to this. I'm due in December. Just offered a one year position. What is the deal with maternity pay with the Dept? Have been working casual for a few years. Am I entitled to any extra or just the standard social welfare one?? Many thanks xx

Once you are on contract you should get your full pay while on maternity leave, that is inclusive of your social welfare payment.

Thank you rainbow trout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thank you rainbow trout

Nela are you signing on now? If so just double check you have worked a certain amount of weeks before going on mat leave. Is it 16 weeks?

I worked last schoo year jan to end of may. Teaching Tefl for July but signed for credits for June and plan to do the same for august. Not entitled for any social welfare as husband earns too much and we lived away for a few years.
    Thank you

I worked last schoo year jan to end of may. Teaching Tefl for July but signed for credits for June and plan to do the same for august. Not entitled for any social welfare as husband earns too much and we lived away for a few years.
    Thank you

I would ring dept of ed and check. In my school there was a girl who had to stay longer to work up the weeks as she had been signing on during summer. Another girl went straight into teaching tefl in June as she was short.

• Advertisement

Will def do that. Thanks for the heads up

Will def do that. Thanks for the heads up

You might find if you work August you will have enough weeks :) I don't think credits count :(

OK my father runs a business, might offer to do a few hours each day for the sake of it. You've been a brilliant help

OK my father runs a business, might offer to do a few hours each day for the sake of it. You've been a brilliant help

Hopefully I am wrong and you won't need to do any work!!!

Advertisement