Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manx language revival

• 14-07-2015 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭

In 1974, the last native speaker of Manx died, and the language was widely declared extinct. However, a number of enthusiasts had begun learning it as a second language, so strictly speaking, Manx had never actually ceased to be spoken. Since then, that generation have raised their children through the language, the Internet and social media have been utilised to spread education, and a mobile app called Learn Manx takes the same immersive approach as Duolingo. Even now, only 2% of islanders can claim fluency, but perhaps Irish and Gaelic organisations should take note of the methods?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As an FYI, language sites like Duolingo have discussions on which languages to incorporate into their system with Manx being mentioned as an endangered one. AFAIK Irish on Duolingo was a result of a similar community push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Anyone know if there's a Manx radio station? I'd like to hear some Manx but it's hard enough to find stuff out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Anyone know if there's a Manx radio station? I'd like to hear some Manx but it's hard enough to find stuff out there.

It's actually called Manx Radio - mostly copies standard UK format, as you'd expect, but a Manx programme called Clar na Gael (not sure of exact spelling) it has is podcasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It's odd that this 'revival' has taken so long to permeate to the outside world. A friend of mine works in the youth criminal justice system on the IoM, and every email I get from him while he's at work has the usual security notice blah blah at the bottom in English and Manx - for at least the last ten years.

tac

Advertisement