Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Military deployed Germ Warfare against San Fransisco (1950's)

Options
  • 14-07-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭

So apparently this one is true

Sorry for the dramatic title :) But it's a bit disconcerting that a nations own military would even consider this as an option, nevermind actually do it.

In fairness, the germ that was deployed (successfully at that) was mostly benign. However, it directly contravenes the Nuremberg code which was instated by the former war allies in 1947. Just four years later, cold war era U.S. paranoia (i presume) led to the field tests in San Francisco.
    It all began in late September 1950, when over a few days, a Navy vessel used giant hoses to spray a fog of two kinds of bacteria, Serratia marcescens and Bacillus globigii — both believed at the time to be harmless — out into the fog, where they disappeared and spread over the city.

"It was noted that a successful BW [biological warfare] attack on this area can be launched from the sea, and that effective dosages can be produced over relatively large areas," concluded a later-declassified military report, cited by the Wall Street Journal.

So where's the conspiracy?

Was the military given enough autonomy at this stage in time to deploy germ warfare over it's own soil and citizens or was it just cold war paranoia deploying a harmless germ (so they thought) to assess their own susceptibility to this form of attack?

there's some interesting source reading at the bottom of the linked article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

So where's the conspiracy?

Was the military given enough autonomy at this stage in time to deploy germ warfare over it's own soil and citizens or was it just cold war paranoia deploying a harmless germ (so they thought) to assess their own susceptibility to this form of attack?

there's some interesting source reading at the bottom of the linked article

They had enough autonomy I guess considering
    A year later, during Operation DEW, the U.S. Army released 250 pounds of cadmium sulfide off the Carolina coast, which spread over 60,000 square miles. The military didn’t know that cadmium sulfide was carcinogenic, nor did it know that it could cause kidney, lung, and liver damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Some pretty scary stuff happened in 50s America. It's probably the main driving force behind conspiracies and distrust of the US government.

Of course back then they thought the world had limitless resources and really didn't know the effects their actions would have, which is more or less why they did these things, to find out what would happen.

The only reason we have the restrictions and laws we have today is because people did these things in the past. We have drug laws because doctors were getting their patients addicted to meds, not really because of drug abuse by end users but to stop medical professionals taking advantage and administering the wrong drugs..

The other thing to be aware of is the fact the cold war was a frightening and immediate threat. The US wanted immediate answers to combat a foe that could attack at any second. They probably took what they saw as an acceptable risk compared to the loss of the entire US nation.

I don't think the world is like that anymore. There's been some major changes since and they just wouldn't be able to carry out these kind of secret missions anymore. There's too many people watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,094 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You, realize of course, this confirms contrails? To an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i could see how someone would associate the two, but that'd be for another time in another thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

They did the same in England around the same time.
    I think it was about 3 locations, sprayed from a vehicle, not sure if they tried it also from the coast.
    Not sure which bacteria they used though.
    It probably happens in a lot of places.*cough*flouride*cough*vaccines *splutter*
    We are cattle/Goyem after all and it's for our own good of course.
    A small portion of animals need to be experimented on to make sure the rest of the farm stays productive.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »

I don't think the world is like that anymore. There's been some major changes since and they just wouldn't be able to carry out these kind of secret missions anymore. There's too many people watching.
    Famous last words haha
    There are a lot of people watching all the time.. History repeats and conspiracy theorists didn't just appear with the word, in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Overheal wrote: »
    You, realize of course, this confirms contrails? To an extent.

Don't think anyone disputes the existence of contrails. I know you really mean chemtrails ;) and the existence of those is whole other barrel of fruit loops :D

I guess the US wanted to get data on how effective a bacteriological attack would be both from a defensive and an offensive standpoint. These days they'd probably do these kind of studies via computer simulations but back then they didn't have that option.

So given the mentality that existed in the 50's they probably figured "national necessity" trumped the rights of the civilian population not to be treated like guinea pigs.

From a collective(within the structures of power) psychological perspective a computer simulation doesn't give that sense of self empowerment and grandiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

That was an interesting and frightening read you really have to wonder about people in power and the way they think,crikey to even contemplate spraying (ok it was thought to be harmless) your own population with some microbe just to see the effects!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,094 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sadly not the first or last time the US Government will experiment unknowingly on the American people. History's proven it - Tuskegee.

• Advertisement

what happened at Tuskegee? aside from it's famous red tail squadron i never heard anything else about it - or if i have it's completely flown my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

what happened at Tuskegee? aside from it's famous red tail squadron i never heard anything else about it - or if i have it's completely flown my mind

I actually posted this one in the other thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057460715

I think Overheal means this

http://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/timeline.htm

ahh, hadnt been keeping up with that one, ta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

But it's a bit disconcerting that a nations own military would even consider this as an option, nevermind actually do it.

The military didn't dream this up, they only do what they are told to do....it's the (shadow) government who give the orders.

Advertisement