Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A "happy thwelfth" or "same procedure as every year"?

Options
  • 14-07-2015 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

It´s been “celebration time” the past weekend and yesterday. While the twelfth passed peacefully last year, this year “some people” thought to be “better back in usual business”.

Here is a selection of recent news reports from the BBC News website. It starts from most peacefully through some little “incidents” up to serious injuries and the usual rioting for which Northern Ireland is so “infamous” although, there are just the usual places where this occures, but it still puts a bad light on the whole of Northern Ireland in the perception of some people.

The Twelfth: Thousands march in Orange Order parades

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-33499467

Thousands of Orange Order members have been taking part in parades across Northern Ireland.

A total of 18 demonstrations were held.

The order has again been barred from parading along a stretch of the Crumlin Road in north Belfast that separates unionist and nationalist communities, on its return from the commemorations.

However, one band, Finaghy True Blues from south Belfast, played a tune going past the Catholic church, in spite of a Parades Commission determination that only the drumbeat should be played.

They admitted they had played the hymn How Great Thou Art and said they were only playing religious music outside a place of worship.

Also in north Belfast, a 21-year-old man was arrested and charged with assaulting a police officer and disorderly behaviour in the Ardoyne area. He was arrested along with a 32-year-man, who was later released.

Speeches have taken place with both the Parades Commission and media coming in for criticism.

Orange Order Belfast County grand master George Chittick said: "We gave our people a peaceful Twelfth last year.

"What was our reward? More stringent measures from the Parades Commission - the biased Parades Commission.

"Let's not lose the battle. Remember it may take long, it may not be in my lifetime, but I'll tell you this, we will win in the end."

Twelfth celebrations: Buses attacked with stones in Greysteel

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-33518383

Buses carrying members of the Orange Order, who were returning home from Twelfth celebrations in Coleraine, have been attacked in County Londonderry.

William Wray, from the City of Londonderry Grand Lodge, had family members on the bus.

"The window smashed and glass came in around the people," said Mr Wray.

'Very serious'

DUP MP Gregory Campbell said: "I was in the village yesterday and this has become a regular thing over the years.

"I was concerned about the lack of police in the area and I will be raising the issue with them.

"This was very serious. The driver could have been hit and 30 or 40 people could have been seriously injured."

Derry trouble: police attacked with petrol bombs and missiles

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-33518384

'Reckless'

PSNI chief inspector Andy Lemon said: "The local residents in this area have suffered once again due to the reckless actions of these youths, some as young as 10.

"I want to reiterate our message to youths involved in this kind of activity that you run the very real risk of being arrested and getting a criminal record which could affect your life for a very long time.

"Parents need to know where their children are, who they are with and what they are doing.

Teenager struck by car and nine PSNI officers hurt in Belfast trouble

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-33518104

A teenage girl was struck by a car and nine police officers were injured as trouble flared in north Belfast.

The Orange Order was barred from walking along a stretch of the Crumlin Road that separates unionist and nationalist communities on its return from an annual celebration.

Some loyalists broke through barriers at the police line and began to throw bottles, bricks and metal bolts at police on Monday evening.

The trouble began at about 19:30 BST.

But it escalated after a car struck several pedestrians at the nearby Ardoyne shops.

It happened as a crowd of nationalists gathered in protest close to the contentious Orange parade.

The vehicle trapped the girl underneath and was lifted off by police and members of the public.

She was treated by paramedics at the scene and taken to hospital. It's understood she is now stable. A man was taken away by police for his own safety.

Trapped

Fr Gary Donegan, of Holy Cross Catholic Church, who was at the scene, said a driver "panicked" and drove into a crowd, injuring three people.

First Minister Peter Robinson condemned it.

Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers said the attacks on police were "disgraceful".

North Belfast MP Nigel Dodds, DUP, said there was a "severe problem in relation to community relations and respect for law and order".

The Orange Order also condemned those engaging in violence and issued an appeal for calm.

Chairman of the Police Federation Mark Lindsay condemned what he called "mindless violence".

Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Ivan Lewis, said the police and members of the public, had "endured unacceptable levels of violence and disorder".

The Twelfth: Missiles thrown at police at Belfast parade flashpoint in north Belfast

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-33516222

There might be some more reports coming in from yesterday and the past night. It is just to hope that people calm down and stop behaving like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The Twelfth is an absolute curse. My heart breaks for people who live in places like Belfast where this shit goes on.
    What you've got to remember is that it's not one day. It happens in the middle of a season. There are more than 3000 of these cursed things happening over the year, with more every year. When theyre on roads are blocked, people are hemmed into their houses for both the outgoing and return parades, youve got half cut bandsmen and supporters pissing in people's gardens and generally creating an air of menace.
    Anyone who "cant understand why they dont just let is pass" clearly has never been to one of these things and doesnt know the true extent of them. They march for any reason. One managed to block off the Belfast road in newry for a couple of hours recently and what was the important, traditional, cultural reason? Some lodge had a new banner made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,554 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Twelfth is an absolute curse. My heart breaks for people who live in places like Belfast where this shit goes on.
    What you've got to remember is that it's not one day. It happens in the middle of a season. There are more than 3000 of these cursed things happening over the year, with more every year. When theyre on roads are blocked, people are hemmed into their houses for both the outgoing and return parades, youve got half cut bandsmen and supporters pissing in people's gardens and generally creating an air of menace.
    Anyone who "cant understand why they dont just let is pass" clearly has never been to one of these things and doesnt know the true extent of them. They march for any reason. One managed to block off the Belfast road in newry for a couple of hours recently and what was the important, traditional, cultural reason? Some lodge had a new banner made.

I was in Belfast last week and spotted the little flags overhanging parts of the city centre, which read, 'Orange Fest'. I suppose the city are trying to put a brave face on it and mark the 12th as an inclusive cultural festival, rather than a decisive event amongst a series of divisive events , and I'm sure there's an amount of pressure to do so. Still, the flags and 'Orange Fest' do paint a sunnier picture - at least to a totally uninitiated tourist, which is presumably what they're aimed at. The great big 'Tower of Babel' bonfires you saw getting ready less so, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Thomas_.

One accompanied some of them bands and wrote a book about it. I bothered to write a review about that book here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057414937

Feel free to pick the parts you don´t like. Anyway, this book in which the author has covered a year with accompanying one of this bands gives a different picture in contrast to what one usually reads.

Advertisement