Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pied Wagtail

Options
  • 14-07-2015 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, just a question from a complete novice. I've noticed a wagtail coming and going into a large full flower tub in my back yard and on closer (careful) inspection I see he/she is building a nest in the soil of the container. Is this normal at this time of the year?? I think he/she may of been there last year too as I noticed the coming and goings but just assumed it was after flies and bugs but then I found a dead chick on the ground and the nest ripped up (I'm blaming a cat). Is there anything I can do to prevent the same thing happening again??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Comerman wrote: »
    Hi Folks, just a question from a complete novice. I've noticed a wagtail coming and going into a large full flower tub in my back yard and on closer (careful) inspection I see he/she is building a nest in the soil of the container. Is this normal at this time of the year?? I think he/she may of been there last year too as I noticed the coming and goings but just assumed it was after flies and bugs but then I found a dead chick on the ground and the nest ripped up (I'm blaming a cat). Is there anything I can do to prevent the same thing happening again??

Perhaps you could put a bit of netting across the rim of the pot so the bird(s) can get in and out but the cat can't. That said, wait until you get a few more replies before you heed my advise as other more experienced birders may tell you to leave well enough alone. I know it happens all the time but it really bugs me to hear cats destroying nests and young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A bit of netting won't keep a cat out. You need to keep the cat out of the area altogether.
    Pied Wagtails usually nest in holes in walls.
    If it were me and the cat can't be exiled, I would prevent the birds nesting there and they will find another more suitable location. At this time of year it would be a second clutch nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Comerman

To be honest I think the cat has moved on (hopefully) what's a second clutch nest then??

To be honest I think the cat has moved on (hopefully) what's a second clutch nest then??

Second clutch means they have reared a nest of young already this season and are now going again. Pied Wagtails have one or two clutches per year.

Aaah great, I'll keep an eye on it so :D

• Advertisement

Hi folks, just a quick update. The wagtail laid and hatched 4 eggs and almost became part of the family eating and feeding the chicks meal worms left out for her. I could see the nest without disturbing anything and watched them hatch and grow, then yesterday the adult was still around looking for the worms but there were only 2 chicks in the nest and now today there are none. What's the story here? do they fly the nest just like that? I thought they would be at least sround feeding for a while. I miss my little brood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tisgrand

They generally fledge roughly two weeks after hatching. From what ive seen, the parents then spread out, splitting the brood between them. The young will still be fed by the parents for a time until they are adept at catching insects themselves.

Thanks tisgrand, would you think any of them will return to use the nest again or what might happen?

I wouldn't imagine they'll return there now as they are safer from predators spread out. Some bird species do return to sleep in the nest for a few nights after fledging but i think it would be more typical of hedgerow nesters such as blackbirds that are 'branching' for a few days before flying strongly.

There was a wagtail with a nest in the same spot last year so hopefully they'll use it again next season (whenever that is)

• Advertisement

As they were successful that is quite possible. Or at least one of the offspring may should the parents perish before Spring. Just keep that cat away ��

There was a wagtail with a nest in the same spot last year so hopefully they'll use it again next season (whenever that is)

While Pied Wagtails have been recorded at over 11 years old, the typical breeding life is two years. But, if the site is suitable, future generations may well use it.

Advertisement