Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc Detects Wifi But Wont Connect Anymore???

Options
  • 14-07-2015 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I recently built a gaming PC and i bought a USB WiFi dongle so i can go online... i was having trouble getting it to connect to the WiFi and after about two hours it connected. I tried to play Battlefield 4 but it kept leaving the game as soon as it loads a map so i tried world of tanks and i got the same problem. I kept an eye on the WiFi for the next while and i noticed it kept disconnecting for some reason. I turned off the PC and came back to it a few days later and it detects the wireless connection but it will not connect. Can someone please help me ASAP?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Two points one it could be a dodgy dongle, two I don't play games but I would have thought that using a connection which was susceptible to RF interference was not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Do you have this problem with other wireless devices in the house? Your router could be set to the wrong channel - but its most likely to be a dodgy wifi dongle as the last person said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What strength if a WiFi signal are you getting? How far away from the router are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 xXGhostFartXx

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Do you have this problem with other wireless devices in the house? Your router could be set to the wrong channel - but its most likely to be a dodgy wifi dongle as the last person said.

Nope. all other computers and phones connect to the router perfectly :/

Can anyone recommend a good wireless dongle ? this is my second one already :/

mordeith wrote: »
    What strength if a WiFi signal are you getting? How far away from the router are you?

I am getting full bars so i don't see why it wouldn't connect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I am getting full bars so i don't see why it wouldn't connect?

Try deleting the connection and start from scratch. Worth a shot anyway. I presume there is no way to connect via Ethernet cable?

mordeith wrote: »
    Try deleting the connection and start from scratch. Worth a shot anyway. I presume there is no way to connect via Ethernet cable?

Tried that with no luck. and cant use an Ethernet cable as the router is downstairs so i would have to run a cable upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've always found the plug adapters a much better alternative to WiFi , especially for a gaming PC in a far room which requires a constant connection without interruption.

Check up Belkin Network Plug

They have them in any good PC / Electronic store.

They're great

This will do the same job

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1090930/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless+networking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CPowerline+adaptor+kits%7C26066890.htm

or a cheaper pair for 36 euro

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless+networking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CPowerline+adaptor+kits%7C26066890.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

try the dongle in another PC, and see if it works. Post back here with results.

truedoom wrote: »
    try the dongle in another PC, and see if it works. Post back here with results.

Have no other pc to try it with :/

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I've always found the plug adapters a much better alternative to WiFi , especially for a gaming PC in a far room which requires a constant connection without interruption.

Check up Belkin Network Plug

They have them in any good PC / Electronic store.

They're great

When i first read your comment i actually hadn't a clue what they were :p ... looked into them a bit and its a cool idea. i think ill have to try it :D Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Might be worth a try. I had a similar problem with a laptop.

Go into your router settings and change the channel to manual. Select 1,6 or 11

My problem was that my network card would not see channels above 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I've always found the plug adapters a much better alternative to WiFi , especially for a gaming PC in a far room which requires a constant connection without interruption....

Same here. Getting Wifi working at high speed all the time was a lottery in my house and gear. One day it would working fine the next crawling. The powerline adapters don't give me any of the hassle.

The WiFi is fine for just general browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Hi,

I recently built a gaming PC and i bought a USB WiFi dongle so i can go online... i was having trouble getting it to connect to the WiFi and after about two hours it connected. I tried to play Battlefield 4 but it kept leaving the game as soon as it loads a map so i tried world of tanks and i got the same problem. I kept an eye on the WiFi for the next while and i noticed it kept disconnecting for some reason. I turned off the PC and came back to it a few days later and it detects the wireless connection but it will not connect. Can someone please help me ASAP?

Do you have a USB extension cable handy? See if sitting the wifi dongle 2 or 3 feet from the PC helps. Full bars with signal dropouts might mean that you're getting interference.

Advertisement