Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversion finished, now the paperwork !!!!

Options
  • 13-07-2015 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi guys, hoping some of you kind souls can help me. I have just finished my ldv convoy conversion, changed from a 17 seater mini bus to a 6 berth camper. Everything in place. Proper seat belted seats for kids etc. All the bits and bobs. My problem is that it's currently rated at 3850kg and need it down rated to 3500kg. I emailed svtech and they said no problem and is common with them. Do the rsa take documentation from svtech ok ?
    I can't drive it due to the weight at present and also need to get it reclassified on log book as a camper.
    Can someone walk me through what I need to do to get on the road please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Wizard wrote: »
    Hi guys, hoping some of you kind souls can help me. I have just finished my ldv convoy conversion, changed from a 17 seater mini bus to a 6 berth camper. Everything in place. Proper seat belted seats for kids etc. All the bits and bobs. My problem is that it's currently rated at 3850kg and need it down rated to 3500kg. I emailed svtech and they said no problem and is common with them. Do the rsa take documentation from svtech ok ?
    I can't drive it due to the weight at present and also need to get it reclassified on log book as a camper.
    Can someone walk me through what I need to do to get on the road please

Is 3850 recorded at (F.1) on the 'log book' ?, many just have 1.

SVTech documentation and the new plate they will supply is accepted by the RSA. You fix it on over the existing plate.

To get the EU Vehicle category changed from M2 to M1 Motor Caravan it will have to go through the VRT process and be re-categorised by The Revenue, you will have to pay 13.5% of what in their opinion the selling price would be as a camper.

As part of the EU Category change make sure the Body Type (D.3) and Motor Taxation Class (J.2) are changed to Motor Caravan and Number of Seats (S.1) is also changed to the new number of travelling seats with seat belts, which must not be more than eight + the drivers seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Wizard

Thanks a million niloc. I will check the log book tonight, do I have to pay vrt seeing as it was originally a minibus and duty had been paid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Thanks a million niloc. I will check the log book tonight, do I have to pay vrt seeing as it was originally a minibus and duty had been paid ?

Minibus with 17 seats would be category C so only €200 would have been paid, that would be subtracted from the calculted VRT. Convoy campers tend to be cheap so I guess they would value it at about €3000 so you would owe.

3000 x 0.133 = €399 - €200 = €199

You should print off a few ads for cheap ldv campers to support your case if they overvalue it.
    e.g.: https://www.buyandsell.ie/motors-for-sale/vans-for-sale/campervan-ldv-convoy-400

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/ldv-convoy-campervan/9875334?offset=2

Thanks a million guys. I emailed the rsa crvt department and they confirmed that sv tech documentation is being accepted in test centres. I also checked my vehicle licence cert and where it says dgvw it's blank and where it says axle weight is also blank.
    Does this have any bearing on what I need to do ?

Thanks a million guys. I emailed the rsa crvt department and they confirmed that sv tech documentation is being accepted in test centres. I also checked my vehicle licence cert and where it says dgvw it's blank and where it says axle weight is also blank.

If its blank they will just look at the plate under the bonnet. Svtech will be providing a new one.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys I know I'm being a pain here but want to make sure I do everything right .
    so do I just get the new plate from sv tech then and remove the old plate and put on the new one ? Do I need any documentation ? Do I need to send anything to the rsa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

If there is no figure at (F.1) it means there is no official record of the vehicles GVW, so no need to get anything changed there, you can leave things stand as they are.
    However, when you are getting the vehicle re-categorised and the number of seats changed you could ask to have the new GVW included with the new information.

The new plate from SV Tech should be fixed partly over the old plate to show it's a more recent plate, do not remove the old plate as it's part of the history of the vehicle.

One important thing, the finished project with all people, food, water, clothes, bikes and other stuff on n board will need to weigh in at not more than 3,500kg, if it's more you can be fined for operating the vehicle in an overloaded condition, if stopped and checked :o

Guys you are absolute gentlemen. I was speaking to an auto engineer last night that's gonna sign off for me for the change of use and vrt. Is there anything else I need to do to get on the road ?

Guys you are absolute gentlemen. I was speaking to an auto engineer last night that's gonna sign off for me for the change of use and vrt. Is there anything else I need to do to get on the road ?

Have you spoken to insurance companies, Dolmen t&cs have some guff about not covering minibus conversions with a lot of seats and one of the clubs has insisted that another member on here remove the rearmost side windows and replace them with metal. Tis a minefield in Ireland I tells ya.

I had a quick look on the insurance companies websites but not gotten in contact yet. I hope I don't have too much trouble getting covered

• Advertisement

I had a quick look on the insurance companies websites but not gotten in contact yet. I hope I don't have too much trouble getting covered

I think stuarts are least hassle.

Just emailed both of them. Fingers crossed !

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

Hey Wizard,

I'm in the final process of also completing a LDV Convoy minibus to a camper.

Just checking does the following still apply in order to get the vehicle changed over from minibus to Camper.

Gas installation has to be certified by an RGI Installer.
    Work has to be Certified by an SQI individual.
    6 Pictures to accompany above showing outside and inside pic's for proof for Revenue.

As far as i know there should be no VRT payment for a minibus as the vehicle would have paid it already in its guise as a minibus.

But please let me know or PM me on how you get on - would love to see some photo's of what you did with the van. What part of country are you in?

Rosco.

As far as i know there should be no VRT payment for a minibus as the vehicle would have paid it already in its guise as a minibus.

VRT paid is subtracted from VRT due:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96235089&postcount=4

Moodrater:

Thanks for the clarification.

Rosco

I'm not sure about rgi inspection yet. Spoke to my auto engineer today and he mentioned it too so have to check. You are bang on about photos and as moderator said about vrt there will be some to pay but I'm hoping not too much. I also emailed dolmen and Stuart's about insurance.dolmen want me to ring the office but Stuart's mailed back and said will cover me and 2 other family members for 315 so pretty good I thought. Auto engineer quoted me 185 to sign off for revenue/vrt. So not too bad all in all I hope

Wizard,

If you have gas for cooking in your van, it has to be checked and passed by an RGI individual, who will then issue you with a cert. No idea yet what this will cost, maybe someone who has been through the process can say.

I can send you on the relevant pages of the RGI hand book that covers this area, i got a copy from my RGI fella and scanned the pages for reference, it helped while making the sink/cooker unit.

What the revenue will want

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vehicle-conversions.html#section7

vehicle conversion forms

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/forms/index.html#section6

€185 for the engineers report/ S.Q.I. sign off seems a bit steep to me - What's the going rate here?? Anyone like to add their tuppance??

€185 for the engineers report/ S.Q.I. sign off seems a bit steep to me - What's the going rate here?? Anyone like to add their tuppance??

I think its ok its a fairly hefty list of declarations you have to sign your name to. The guy that did ours won't touch them now due to the complete lack of direction from the RSA.

I didn't think it was too bad to be honest. Plus the guy is coming to my house etc. Just a quick one, where does it state I need an rgi cert ?
    I have a friend thats a retired gas fitter , he was doing to hook up for me but as he is retired he can't give me a cert. Is this mandatory ?

I didn't think it was too bad to be honest. Plus the guy is coming to my house etc. Just a quick one, where does it state I need an rgi cert ?
    I have a friend thats a retired gas fitter , he was doing to hook up for me but as he is retired he can't give me a cert. Is this mandatory ?

From the Revenue:

Living Accommodation
    The primary purpose of a Motor Caravan is to provide mobile living accommodation. The living accommodation space should be of a size and area to allow a comfortable living environment for a person or persons for an extended period of time. This would generally require the whole of the rear compartment of a vehicle, behind the driver’s compartment, to be utilised for this purpose, such that the occupant/s have ready access to storage, preparation, cooking, eating, sleeping and related facilities from within the living accommodation space. (It would be expected that the living accommodation space in the rear compartment would have side windows and, where cooking is by means of gas, a Gas Installer Certificate is available). Comfortable living accommodation should comprise an area where a person (of average height) could move around in a standing position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Any RGI plumber should be able to presure test it it's in your oen interest to get it done. Book a boiler service and role it into the cost

Book a boiler service and role it into the cost

Thats actually a great idea.

Plus the guy is coming to my house etc.

What happened to the "must have the appropriate facilities and equipment to conduct the examination and complete the certification."

I got the guys number from the iaea website. Spoke to him and he said he would come to my house and sign off. Didn't seem like a problem ?

Hey Wizard.

How are you getting on with the process?

Rosco.

Hey rosco, not able to sort paperwork yet as have the kids back to school shortly and no funds available. Working on the bunks this weekend though. Not able to source any suitable pipes for the bunks so think I'm gonna use box section instead

How about you ? I must take some photos and put em up

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sunny Dublin

Have you any numbers to ring for weighbridge, gas man and any other needed for conversion?

My local dumps weighbridge is accepted. Any gas plumber with rgi certification will do and I went onto ieaa website for motor engineer. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

IEAA? have you a link?

Advertisement