Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold to Platinum

Options
  • 13-07-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

He have a number of gold rings including two wedding rings which I have been getting dipped in platinum. The jeweller I had used to do this for 10 euro per ring. He has since retired and I cannot get anyone to do it for less than 20 euro per ring. Anyone know anywhere in Dublin I will get better value

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Aidan No1 wrote: »
    He have a number of gold rings including two wedding rings which I have been getting dipped in platinum. The jeweller I had used to do this for 10 euro per ring. He has since retired and I cannot get anyone to do it for less than 20 euro per ring. Anyone know anywhere in Dublin I will get better value

Thanks
    Didn't even know this was possible- have two valuable 18carrot white gold rings I always regretted not getting in platinum- cost at the time dictated. Does it last l

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Aidan No1

koriko wrote: »
    Didn't even know this was possible- have two valuable 18carrot white gold rings I always regretted not getting in platinum- cost at the time dictated. Does it last l

With constant wear after about 6 months it begins to wear and you can start to see the gold coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Aidan No1 wrote: »
    With constant wear after about 6 months it begins to wear and you can start to see the gold coming through.
    Is this not rhodium plating? I have white gold rings and get them cleaned and redipped once a year to keep them looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Aidan No1

lazygal wrote: »
    Is this not rhodium plating? I have white gold rings and get them cleaned and redipped once a year to keep them looking good.

I am not sure, mine are not white gold, they are just gold gold, the missus took a fancy to silver look a couple of years back and has been getting them dipped since. Our jeweller has headed off and now we are looking for a new reasonable jeweller.

What does it normally cost to have them dipped and cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 henryhenry1

Having had things dipped/plated before in White gold and platinum I would have though €20 was very good value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Having had things dipped/plated before in White gold and platinum I would have though €20 was very good value

Me too. I paid a lot more than €20 to have my rings dipped and cleaned. They looked like new afterwards though.

Advertisement