Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropped out last year + SUSI

Options
  • 13-07-2015 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

Hey, just looking for some advice.

Last October I dropped out of my first year in college due to a reasonably severe episode of depression which had basically made it impossible for me to continue attending college. I cleared everything with the admissions office in UCC and they agreed that the best course of action for me would be to drop out on medical grounds and so I did, I had sent in a doctors note which they said would act as proof that I hadn't dropped out under usual circumstances. At this point I had not had my application accepted so had still received no money or any funding from SUSI. I had also been assured that any future grant application would not be affected by this but now I am not so sure, from what I've been reading online SUSI don't give any funding to people who dropped out even if it was early in the year. Should I be eligible for a grant this year? Are there any provisions for people who had to drop out due to medical issues?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

AFAIK even if you did not get a grant, you may have received free fees and therefore you may not qualify for fees.
    A period of study would have to be attained before a student would be eligible for funding on a course or year of a course previously attended but did not gain a qualification.

How ever, if you have exceptional circumstances for dropping out and can provide evidence backed up by the college, you may be eligible for some grant assistance again.

As SUSI do not actually administer the free fees, you would have to make a case for them to allow you make and application for maintenance but the college may have to waiver the fees for you not do to a repeat period of study and qualify for SUSI.

All other eligibility would apply for you application if approved.

Advertisement