Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME Post Primary Hibernia Interview

Options
  • 13-07-2015 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Interview coming up soon for PME Post Primary. My subjects are English and History has anyone any advice on how to prepare for the interview? It's been 5 years since my undergraduate degree and I am so nervous!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭username84

Hey - I'm currently doing English and History with Hibernia and I got through the interview ok considering I did my undergraduate degree in 2008!!

I read the curriculum in both, and was honest with them regarding my lack of history knowledge. The strangest question I got was who is your favourite historian!! I just HAPPENED to know a name! I don't even read him :p

Mention things like active classrooms, the new Junior Cert changes, ICT in the classroom, differenciation. If you're feeling EXTRA fancy maybe read up on something like Blooms Taxonomy.

Anyway, they really look for your suitability as a student, and if you will be able to keep up with the course. OH! And they're really big on 'reflective practicioners' and 'lifelong learners'. So make sure you say you want to constantly change and adapt and look on your teaching for improvements etc :)

One word or warning, I am still happy I am doing this course, but Oh My GOD Hibernia are an absolute MESS when it comes to admin! You'll travel all over the country - I've been in Thurles, Athlone, Dublin, most likely twice a month and you will have very little notice on changes to this. It's a nightmare

You will however have access to some of the best lecturers and teachers. You will really WANT to want to do this

And they say it's parttime - it AIN'T part time! My assignments have been completely subpar up until now as I just do not have time with work - I'm full time, 42 hour contract with 5 hour commute and I can't study at the weekends - there is very little I can do expect leave my job

It's a full time course

Best of luck with your interview!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 orlzk

Thanks so much!! God it's sooo over whelming!! I graduated from college in 2010 and went travelling and have worked since in a completely diff field so it's hard to get my head back into it all!

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Hi guys,

I'm about to apply for the PME in primary education in Mary I and also Hibernia, anyone have any tips for the interviews, what sort of things I should zone in on etc? I've been really lucky to do a bit of work experience in various school and worked with a lot of different types of SEN, class sizes, nationalities etc.. is this something I will get to talk about or is more so why I want to be a teacher?

Also anyone in galway or limerick, did you avail of any classes for irish in prep or grinds?

Any information would be great.

Thanks a million in advance,

Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

Anyone do their interview today? How did you get on..what kind of questions did u get asked in both the English and Irish segments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

I did the hibernia PME and not here to slate it but can has anyone ever done the interview and NOT gotten onto the course?? I was in the first cohort and work has been constant but hours and therefore pay very low...
    I just wonder do they accept majority if not all of qualifying applicants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Karlat1994

Hi I have my Hibernia primary school interview on the 25th of may did anyone have theres yet? Would love some tips I'm so nervous. Studying so much but feel like nothing is going in

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Karlat1994

puma90 wrote: »
    Anyone do their interview today? How did you get on..what kind of questions did u get asked in both the English and Irish segments

When is your interview ? 😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LSheridan

SlinkyL wrote: »
    I did the hibernia PME and not here to slate it but can has anyone ever done the interview and NOT gotten onto the course?? I was in the first cohort and work has been constant but hours and therefore pay very low...
    I just wonder do they accept majority if not all of qualifying applicants...

I've done an interview and NOT been successful, I had a 1.1 Degree but didn't prepare enough for the interview. I returned for the next cohort and was successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Totally agree

Its a full time course and working full time while doing it is beyond tough going and just about manageable with no life and all other other commitments going out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

they encourage an Irish course foe 2nd interview

money maker

any one gets accepted... when u pay them enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Clare2016

Hi guys,
    I have my interview next Friday and was wondering does anybody have information on the subject specific part of the interview? My two subjects are business and German. What exactly do you need to know in relation to the curriculum? I'd really appreciate any advice or help! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 trish83

Hi Claire, just wondering have you had any luck with getting info. I have my interview for the same subjects this Friday morning? How is your prep going.
    Clare2016 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have my interview next Friday and was wondering does anybody have information on the subject specific part of the interview? My two subjects are business and German. What exactly do you need to know in relation to the curriculum? I'd really appreciate any advice or help! Thanks!

Hi Trish,

I haven't been able to get any information about it from anyone who has done the interview. Have you done much preparation for it? I'm not sure what to expect really especially about the curriculum and how much knowledge you should have of it.

I've covered what was on the interview prep list but in relation to the curriculum the detail that we need to know I've no idea.
    What have u covered on the German side of things???
    Like what can they really ask us? What times your interview
    trish83 wrote: »
    Hi Claire, just wondering have you had any luck with getting info. I have my interview for the same subjects this Friday morning? How is your prep going.

I've tried to cover what was on the list too but still feel unsure. When I got the call about my interview I was told there would only be two or three questions in German because it's my second subject so I haven't really prepared much for that yet. Is German your first or second subject? When I rang up ages ago inquiring about the course I was told it would be similar to the usual college oral and be more of a general conversation kind of thing? I presume they'll look at our college results and take that into consideration too so I hope it's not too tough! I'm at 11.15 on Friday what about you?

I'm in just before you so. 1030. I'm at my wits end now at this stage just want to get it over with
    Clare2016 wrote: »
    I've tried to cover what was on the list too but still feel unsure. When I got the call about my interview I was told there would only be two or three questions in German because it's my second subject so I haven't really prepared much for that yet. Is German your first or second subject? When I rang up ages ago inquiring about the course I was told it would be similar to the usual college oral and be more of a general conversation kind of thing? I presume they'll look at our college results and take that into consideration too so I hope it's not too tough! I'm at 11.15 on Friday what about you?

I am too I'm hoping my nerves pass by Friday or I'll mess up the whole thing. I'm reading different threads about the interview but it's kind of mixed, some people say its easy and others think its not. We'll just have to see how Friday goes!

How did you find today Trish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gwaler

I have my hibernia interview on Thursday. Can anyone tell me how much I'm supposed to know about history? It's been many years since I did my degree. I don't remember much 😟

Advertisement