Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Planter with Trellis

Options
  • 13-07-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Hi some advice please, I want to make a couple of planters with trellis to block the wind in our back yard.

I am planning something similar to this at the bottom, I can buy a 6x4 trellis in the local hardware shop for 25 quid so that will be the starting point.
    I want to make the planter 6 foot height and 6 wide.
    I was planning on using 4x4 for the back frame to attach the trellis onto and use 2x4 for the rest of the frame. I will then add on 1x6 for the back front and sides and see if I can get cheap decking for the top of the box of a finish (or not depending on how it looks)
    I will use some plastic that I have and score the bottom to line the box.
    I have ordered some casters from Amazon with locks so I will be able to move it when finished.

The planter box will be 2 foot high and 18 to 20" deep. So 4 ft of Trellis.

My main concern at this stage is will I have to think about anchoring or adding something to it to stop it from falling in a high wind ? if so what ? it will be on the Tarmac and not right on the wall so don't want to attach to the house.

We have a very open site and I plan on have two of these so I can move them into position around some outdoor furniture BBQ etc.
    Any advice much appreciated , I am very novice at woodwork and reckon this is within my reach without getting fancy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you have ordered locking castors they should prevent the unit rolling out of place. There would be a big wind load on the trellis however, assuming you will have plants on it and I doubt it will be strong enough. You would need something like 40 mm square wood screwed to the base. ? You could line it with damp proof course membrane. With the weight of soil in the box I would think it would be stable enough not to topple over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

2 foot by 20" BY 6 foot is 60 cm by 50cm by 180cm =0.54 m3. soil weighs 1600kg per m3. so thats 800kg of soil in your planter you might want to make them shorter if you want to be able to move them about

Advertisement