Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalities Around relocation

Options
  • 13-07-2015 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I have worked for a company for almost 15 years. They are going to move location in the next few months. The move, only approx 20km each way but in an incredibly busy high traffic congested area, will add at least an hour travel time to me each day, more in Winter, more on fridays. Work life balance is important to me and one of the main reasons Ive stayed so long is the location of the company being 20-40 mins from home. Having the location move to being 1-1.5 hours from home means it is a commute I am not interested in doing.

I am currently pursuing options such as working from home full or part time. if necessary I will look for another job closer to home. However a friend did say to me that there can be grounds for redundancy when a company relocates but I don;t know if it would apply in my case? Given how long I have been with the company, i would prefer to leave with something than with nothing but I don't know if I have any grounds to pursue this. The company has decided that its 'reasonable travel' but is there a legal definition of 'reasonable travel'?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is no legal definition I can recall but as an idea the government reallocated nurses a few years back with 50km radius (correct me if I'm wrong as I never looked too much into it) as basis for no compensation. Due to this I'd say you'd be hard pressed to get redundancy but it never hurts asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Is your position being scrapped and are the company not planning to refill if you were to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

No its not being made redundant in that manner, I just wanted to check if relocation meant legally that companies had to offer redundancy in certain cases. Based on the reply above re 50km, it would seem it isn't which is a pity but I suspected as much.

That leaves me with the options of hoping the company will meet me in the middle and allow me to work from home full or part time. if not, I will need to look for another job. Spending 2 + hours a day sat in traffic on the N7 + M50 is my idea of hell so the commute daily is not an option for me personally. I was offered a better paid job in another company in the location they are moving to before and turned it down based on location so working for current company in same place while spending more on petrol and earning less than I could be makes no sense either.

If I was to leave, I;d imagine they would refill my role but from abroad (my contract is held abroad)

Advertisement