Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Éireann is Hiring

Options
  • 13-07-2015 10:00am
    Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep

Hi All

Met Éireann is hiring Meteorologists in the following roles:

•Numerical Weather Prediction
    •Climate Modelling
    •Liaison and Funding Officer
    •Applications...
    •Operational Forecasting
    •Valentia Observatory

See here for details http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/20779.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Excellent job, only issue I see is that starting salary on appointment is at the minimum of the scale unless you are an existing civil servant.

I would be very interested in applying, but this caveat for me implies a reduction in earnings over current that I simply could not afford. For the starting pay on offer, I feel it's really in the domain of young graduates or those who can afford to start on that kind of salary. Therefore I feel that skilled and experienced people will not be attracted by this which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Excellent job, only issue I see is that starting salary on appointment is at the minimum of the scale unless you are an existing civil servant.

I would be very interested in applying, but this caveat for me implies a reduction in earnings over current that I simply could not afford. For the starting pay on offer, I feel it's really in the domain of young graduates or those who can afford to start on that kind of salary. Therefore I feel that skilled and experienced people will not be attracted by this which is a shame.
    The salaries are excellent compared with what people earn in the rest of Europe. And have you seen the size of the increments? Plus, if you can pass the language tests you skip three of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

octo wrote: »
    The salaries are excellent compared with what people earn in the rest of Europe. And have you seen the size of the increments? Plus, if you can pass the language tests you skip three of them.

The salaries are very good the further up the incremental scales one goes, but starting pay on appointment is at or very close to the minimum. This is a very big disincentive for someone who may be interested and suitably skilled, qualified and experienced working elsewhere, but will not consider applying because of those low starting salaries. There's a similar conundrum going on in the health sectors at the mo where they cannot recruit the ideal medical professionals because the starting salaries are simply not competitive enough to attract the right people.

Comparing salaries to elsewhere in Europe I feel is a bit misguided because it doesn't take into account the relative differences in living either here or there. The job I do currently here pays competitively for what it is, but would attract far more in say London or Frankfurt with commensurately higher living costs. It's what I'm paid in the local market where I live that matters to me, not what I could earn elsewhere. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The salaries are very good the further up the incremental scales one goes, but starting pay on appointment is at or very close to the minimum. This is a very big disincentive for someone who may be interested and suitably skilled, qualified and experienced working elsewhere, but will not consider applying because of those low starting salaries. There's a similar conundrum going on in the health sectors at the mo where they cannot recruit the ideal medical professionals because the starting salaries are simply not competitive enough to attract the right people.

Comparing salaries to elsewhere in Europe I feel is a bit misguided because it doesn't take into account the relative differences in living either here or there. The job I do currently here pays competitively for what it is, but would attract far more in say London or Frankfurt with commensurately higher living costs. It's what I'm paid in the local market where I live that matters to me, not what I could earn elsewhere. :)
    Have to agree with all this, starting at the lowest end with a Dublin cost of living for someone with a phd would not be appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Anybody ever hear a response from this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The email contact on the application was out of the office until last week. Haven't heard anything else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I dont know anyone who applied in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I applied for the Meteorological Officer Aviation role. I've an earth sciences degree and currently work in a engineering technician role in the semiconductor industry. Hoping the application goes well as it would make a nice change from the current role. Application form was probably the longest I ever made for a job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I applied for the Meteorological Officer Aviation role. I've an earth sciences degree and currently work in a engineering technician role in the semiconductor industry. Hoping the application goes well as it would make a nice change from the current role. Application form was probably the longest I ever made for a job :)

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Apparently there was loads of applications done for both positions, I applied for the Met Officer position too..

So the question is .. Mycroft H.... when do we ... fight to the death?

american-gladiators.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Apparently there was loads of applications done for both positions, I applied for the Met Officer position too..

So the question is .. Mycroft H.... when do we ... fight to the death?

can i be ref?

best of luck lads

Anyone get any word? Last I heard they were shortlisting

No, nothing yet on my side. Was tempted to email them asking for an update....

I will send something off monday morning. It's been awhile since the closing date. They'd want to have the ball rolling soon or it will be christmas.

Yeah i'll do the same ,5 weeks since the closing date...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Notification took 7/8 weeks for the Meteorologist hiring stream, so expect it in the next few weeks I would imagine.

Best of luck.

Notification took 7/8 weeks for the Meteorologist hiring stream, so expect it in the next few weeks I would imagine.

Best of luck.

Same reply as I got a few weeks back. They're still shortlisting. Hoping this goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wish I could be a meteorologist already. I literally know a lot of how weather works. Here I am at the top of Met Éireann when I was younger. :):o

Narrowly missed out on making the interview :(

Would have been a nice job by the sounds of it. Disappointed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Senior Meteorologist Head of Aviation

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/24761.htm

Closing date 27th Jan 2016

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

TG4 are looking for 6-12 year olds to present the weather next month
    https://twitter.com/TG4TV/status/699723223722803200

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

snubbleste wrote: »
    TG4 are looking for 6-12 year olds to present the weather next month
    https://twitter.com/TG4TV/status/699723223722803200