Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Rice Iveagh Gardens

Options
  • 13-07-2015 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Just a bad taste in my mouth over last nights gig. Possible the worst run gig I have ever gone to.
    Maybe someone could explain why one block of the men's toilets were changed over to ladies for this gig. We were told it was because of large queues for the ladies at gigs earlier during the week but the result was large queues outside the mens toilet. Could no one think of putting in extra ladies and leaving the mens alone
    Why did Damien Rice start late the sound broke down twice and then to cap it all off they had to turn off the P.A system at 11.00pm and he tried to make light of it and sing a song without a guitar or amp.I'm sorry but if I've paid good money to see someone live the least I expect is a full setlist played and not cut back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was the same for St Vincent. The entire venue, which has to have a capacity of at least 2,500 had two cubicles for the men to use. Two. The queues were insane and it'd put me off going to a gig there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

argentum wrote: »
    Just a bad taste in my mouth over last nights gig. Possible the worst run gig I have ever gone to.
    Maybe someone could explain why one block of the men's toilets were changed over to ladies for this gig. We were told it was because of large queues for the ladies at gigs earlier during the week but the result was large queues outside the mens toilet. Could no one think of putting in extra ladies and leaving the mens alone
    Why did Damien Rice start late the sound broke down twice and then to cap it all off they had to turn off the P.A system at 11.00pm and he tried to make light of it and sing a song without a guitar or amp.I'm sorry but if I've paid good money to see someone live the least I expect is a full setlist played and not cut back

Ah now, if that was the worst run gig you've ever been to, you're lucky. He was 10 minutes late, and have you ever been to an outdoors gig that ended any later?! You still got an hour and forty five minutes of a great gig.

It's a curfew and it affects every single gig from Iveagh Gardens to Phoenix to Marlay. Perhaps Rice could have managed his setlist and time more, but are you really complaining about that quiet haunting version of the Blower's Daughter? For me the toilets is whatever because I managed to not have to take a dump for 2 hours, go me.

I thought it was a fantastic gig, great musician and fantastic showman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Fcukin seagulls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

The sound system was useless,how hard is it to test the systems before hand? Even the support band was complaining about the vibration feedback and the sound guys did nothing. I hope someone got fired for that,very lazy work. I hope Damian rice gave **** to them for it cause it ruined his closing song.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

I would bet money that doing Blower's Daughter without sound system was completely planned. He knew when the curfew was and could have easily started earlier if he wanted. (My friend was told at sound desk before 8pm that it was going to be 9.10 to 11.10 and including Blower's daugther that's what it was).

Not his best ever, but I really enjoyed the gig. No problems with toilets, but I also did not need portaloo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Blowers daughter without a sound system was definitely planned. I was at him in Cork last night & he did it there too. Set up in the Marquee was great

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭argentum

Maybe I have been spoiled with the amount of the indoor gigs that I have been to and very little outdoor stuff but I just felt that it should have been indoors. Why do some people just talk all the way through the music instead of listening had to move a few times and also because of the amount of people smoking and just blowing smoke everywhere. A guy beside us actually lit a cigar and didn't seem to care that he just blew smoke everywhere. I think its indoor only for me from now on
    In connection with the toilets I would have thought that a minimum number were needed as per the crowd size and the queues were very large all night for the 2 available and the urinals.
    I only really heard Damien Rice for the first time with this album and I have had it on constant play since I bought it ( I also bought his older cds because of this one) and was really looking forward to hearing it live
    I know an artist can play what they want its their show but I was left feeling very underwhelmed by the setlist and the whole gig. I was expecting a small band to play along side him to make a connection between what is on the cd and the live sound but nothing so why bother making music with an orchestra if you don't want to play it live for your audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Blowers daughter without a sound system was definitely planned. I was at him in Cork last night & he did it there too. Set up in the Marquee was great

He's been doing that now and then for over ten years, having his last song completely unplugged

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Funnily enough I was at the BellX1 gig in the Iveagh Gardens two years back and the PA system at that gig blew twice, show was stopped for about 10 minutes each time

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

His Galway gig seems to have been a disappointment, down to the crowd. Constantly talking & heckling. He asked for the bar to be closed soon after he started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

argentum wrote: »
    Maybe I have been spoiled with the amount of the indoor gigs that I have been to and very little outdoor stuff but I just felt that it should have been indoors. Why do some people just talk all the way through the music instead of listening had to move a few times and also because of the amount of people smoking and just blowing smoke everywhere. A guy beside us actually lit a cigar and didn't seem to care that he just blew smoke everywhere. I think its indoor only for me from now on
    In connection with the toilets I would have thought that a minimum number were needed as per the crowd size and the queues were very large all night for the 2 available and the urinals.
    I only really heard Damien Rice for the first time with this album and I have had it on constant play since I bought it ( I also bought his older cds because of this one) and was really looking forward to hearing it live
    I know an artist can play what they want its their show but I was left feeling very underwhelmed by the setlist and the whole gig. I was expecting a small band to play along side him to make a connection between what is on the cd and the live sound but nothing so why bother making music with an orchestra if you don't want to play it live for your audience.

People talk at most gigs, no matter what type of gig it is, except maybe in places like The Helix or National Concert Hall.

I guess people tend not to talk in The Helix or National Concert Hall, because these venues are a bit more formal. They can't leave their seats without disturbing everyone else in their row, and they can't bring food or drinks into the auditorium.

Also, in the Concert Hall, the venue staff tend not to let people who go out to the toilet during a song, back to their seats until the end of the song.

On the issue of whether or not gigs get cut short because of curfews or time restrictions, my impression of live shows in general is that headlining bands play the length of time they intend to play.

When Lenny Kravitz played Marlay Park On 19th August 2008, he played about 90 minutes. Before he played the last few songs he mentioned something about having to end the show because of the curfew.

But if he had intended playing longer, he would have either started earlier, or not had Alanis Morissette, One Republic or The Script as support acts!:)

I guess MCD knew when organising the gig, that Lenny Kravitz was going to play around 90 minutes. I imagine there would not have been three support bands if he had intended playing any longer.

http://www.mcd.ie/newsletters/15august.html

Many of the bands that intend to play a two hour plus show, will not have a support band and will start at 8pm, or even earlier, for example Bruce Springsteen has started shows at 7.30pm.

Advertisement