Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omega Seamaster 1950s

Options
  • 13-07-2015 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

The attached picture shows an omega seamaster that my grandfather bought in the 1950s. The strap broke and my dad had it replaced with some crappy strap. He doesn't know anything about the watch really. Anyone know any history and what the originally strap was? It would be nice to have it restored to its original condition...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

to identify the exact watch you would need to get the number that is inside the caseback.
    Then look it up on the Omega vintage database. If found you will know when the watch was made, materials, movement etc...and hopefully a photo of the origional.
    I would not get too hung up about the strap.
    If you REALLY want an Omega replacement, and have deep pockets then Ofrei may be able to help you.

In terms of getting it restored...that would not be a big job given that the watch seems in good nick. A service would be needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I wouldn't focus too much on getting exactly the right strap, as already said. If you are able to find the watch on the Omega database then it won't give precise information anyway. A nice alligator or leather strap would suit (doesn't have to be OEM) and then all you have to do is find an Omega buckle. I believe that there is a reputable Australian Ebay seller called Watchco who have a large supply of Omega bits and they might be able to help you.

One thing I'd say is don't put the restoration on the back burner. Omega (Swatch Group) are slowly cutting off their spare parts supply to non-accredited watchmakers and this will inevitably lead to an increase in service costs. Just make sure you do some due diligence on the watchmaker that you entrust your heirloom to - you want a very gentle refurbishment rather than Trigger's broom and not everybody understands the importance of this. I can't recommend a watchmaker in Oz unfortunately.

It's a nice watch, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Cheers guys,
    Yeah the watch is back in Ireland and my parents are living in Limerick so would there be anyone in Limerick or Cork you guys would recommend for a restore? I think my dad has an omega gold bracelet that went with it originally but it broke off.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Do I assume that golf means gold? I imagine that the bracelet is gold-plated so probably not much value in getting that repaired. Again, if you can get the back off and ascertain the reference then it may even be possible to get a replacement.

I don't have any experience of watchmakers in Ireland but this thread may be of use.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68109514#post68109514

Advertisement