Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturo Iwata has passed away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wow, and all the calls for him to step down because of his future vision for Nintendo leaving consoles behind. That's a shocker, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I didn't believe you, looks like its true. Only 55, very sad.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/12/8940053/nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-is-dead

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That is a complete shock! RIP.

I knew he was ill but did not expect to read this news

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

RIP, must of been a very aggressive cancer, he seemed to be doing as well as you could expect after his surgery last year, this man had a hand in providing me with some very magical childhood memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

RIP Iwata San. :(

Very sad day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RIP.

I've a lot of respect for the guy. Unlike other videogame company CEO's who are just suits, Iwata got his hands dirty in the trenches at HAL and Nintendo. He was well regarded for his exceptional programming skills and called upon by Nintendo to rescue projects that were in trouble. Although the WiiU hasn't been a success he lead Nintendo down some bold new paths with the Wii and DS that turned out to be very successful.

Sad new indeed and another legend has passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

CJwL7B6WUAAYSSX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

This is why he will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Sad to hear. RIP man. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Christ that was a suprise, sad news. :(

This is a nice quote from the man (from a Eurogamer article):
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president," he said at GDC in 2005. "In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Thanks and RIP Satoru Iwata

I loved Donkey Kong

If you've ever played Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Wii Fit, Star Fox Adventures, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, Kirby, (the list goes on and on) you have Satoru Iwata to thank.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33504903/satoru-iwata-dead-most-touching-tributes-to-nintendo-boss

As well as helping to create so many of Nintendo's most famous games, he was also responsible for the DS and Wii.

The big boss once described himself as having the "brain of a games developer" and "the heart of a gamer".

He's died from cancer at the age of 55.

Satoru Iwata started as a programmer in a Nintendo subsidiary in the 1980s and became Nintendo president in 2002.

His aim was to make gaming less complex and open to everyone. He was popular for his friendly attitude and sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Did a search dor Saturo Iwata and nothing showed up at the time and i started new thread, can mod delete my thread, thanks

Thanks for the great fun and RIP Saturo Iwata

I had a two screen Donkey Kong thought it was the greatest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a strange sort of melancholy in the colourful Splatoon plaza this morning:

2s00jg1.jpg

Iwata-san was one of the good ones, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Awful news, 55 is no age. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

RIP, such a great man.

tumblr_nrez0lqKPN1rmwn7go1_540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

RIP, very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nice tribute at The Game Awards.

Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime Remembers Satoru Iwata - The Game Awards 2015