Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use 'on board' hard drive or External for production

Options
  • 12-07-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Any seasoned producers out there? Do you save your projects (i.e. your work in prgegress files) on your computers hard drive or do you keep that nice and clean and store your projects all on an external? What about your sample packs?

I am upgrading my laptop and I am glad of the chance for a fresh start - my organisation is going to be a lot better this time with everything in the right folders etc - just wondering if anyone has any tips - up to now i have just been working off the HD on the computer but it doesnt be long filling up.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Guess this sorta answers my question but I am still keen to hear opinions/recommendations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I didn't watch the video but for what its worth I keep all projects / samples on my laptop hd. I use FlStudio so it's easy map my samples folder within the DAW. Regarding hd space I've stopped collecting sample packs to be honest. I'd find I might have 250 ethno drum hits and use only one. It was a waste of space for me. What I've done is keep a core selection and then spend time manipulating or layering samples to get a different sound to suit the track I'm trying to create. It has the added benefit of improving my skillset in this aspect of production. Similarl with respect to synth sounds I'm trying to create my own from either scratch or altering presets. Again eliminates a buildup of samples.

EDIT: I know you're a big hardware user so my input above is probably not much use.

I know exactly what you mean about the sample packs so I am with you there..

The guy in the vid says you should run your DAW off your internal HD and save your projects on an external.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

I've got a 2TB hard drive in my computer specifically for projects, samples and patches. The software lives on the C: drive which is an SSD, and the aforementioned 2TB drive is a standard 7200rpm SATA dealie with no bells or whistles

Thanks for the reply - is this working well for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

Yup, no issues - although I'm really only starting again to be honest, so I've not had a HUGE amount of time with the config. I know a reasonable amount about computers, though, so I'm not expecting any issues even under heavy load

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have 2 * 64Gb usb memory sticks in my laptop for all my samples and I use the internal SSD for all audio recording, backing it up to OneDrive. I also backup everything to a rarely-used external hard disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Both - everything backed up on a external 7200rpm hdd

Advertisement