Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinos for work

Options
  • 11-07-2015 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Work in a company where the dress code is very much business casual. The standard outfit for men is a pair of chinos and a shirt.

I need to pick up a couple of pair. Usually wear ones by Gant but can only see them at full price now (circa 100-120 euro) so looking for something cheaper but still good quality for everyday wear.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Thanks but I'd rather buy a pair of chinos while I'm online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Try H+M. Have picked up some nice chinos there. Just avoid the super skinny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Marks and Spencer's, I got some cheap there, 12- 40 euro turns out it was a sale, might still be on.

cerastes wrote: »
    Marks and Spencer's, I got some cheap there, 12- 40 euro turns out it was a sale, might still be on.

Never thought of M and S. Will give them a try. Last time I was in there I struggled to find trousers to fit me (long legs) but hopefully more choice this time.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Yeh I have a different problem, waist-legs don't match available sizes, tried in a few places and skinny legs seems to be in fashion, which isnt comfortable for working in plus not to my liking or fit.
    M&S is another option anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

cerastes wrote: »
    Yeh I have a different problem, waist-legs don't match available sizes, tried in a few places and skinny legs seems to be in fashion, which isnt comfortable for working in plus not to my liking or fit.
    M&S is another option anyway.

I like the GANT chinos as they fit me in the waist and are relaxed in the leg without being too sloppy and baggy. Levi's 569s are great for that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Cody montana - if you can't post helpfully, then please don't post.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I used to wear chinos for work - don't now in my current job, but I keep a pair just in case. I'd second the m and s suggestions above - I'm 6'2" and found them one of the only places I could get a pair that would fit well, especially in the leg.

One tip - avoid dark colours black navy especially as they can become washed out looking quite quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've got a couple of pairs of Gap chinos this year and found them great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I've loads of pairs of Tommy Hilfiger chinos and I find them great the quality is good and they have different colour choices. The fit is also good as well but I still always get them tailored.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I used to wear chinos for work - don't now in my current job, but I keep a pair just in case. I'd second the m and s suggestions above - I'm 6'2" and found them one of the only places I could get a pair that would fit well, especially in the leg.

One tip - avoid dark colours black navy especially as they can become washed out looking quite quickly

+1

Navy chinos also seem to pick up dust and lint like a bástard.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dapperdan

I'd recommend H&M or Asos own brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Dunnes have nice Chinos for €25 ,and Tesco now have tight-fitting Chinos for about €15 , but largest waist size is 38 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

+1 for ASOS own brand. OH has a few pairs and they're good quality. He also has good pairs by Selected Homme and French Connection.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

What colours would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I got a nice pair in Ralph Lauren in Kildare Village - 25 euros. I went for sky blue (but I don't intend wearing to work).

Colours, it all depends on what you are wearing with them. You could be daring and wear light blue or white, but you can't go wrong with standard brown / beige / khaki, or even a light grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Next do great ones for men, OP.

I'd stay away from dark coulors they don't hold their colours well after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

JTL wrote: »

I tend to go for the light coloured beige ones - hold their colour better. I also have a nice Ralph Lauren pair which fit well.

JTL wrote: »

Various shades of beige and tan basically. Olive is nice also.

Navy will fade drastically after a few washes. Cotton does not hold dye particularly well so fading will be more noticeable on dark colours. Also, for some reason that I've never been able to figure out, navy seems to attract dust and lint like crazy.

Brown looks nice when you buy it but in my experience it doesn't wash well and after a a while starts to get very muddy looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

lizzyman wrote: »
    Navy will fade drastically after a few washes. Cotton does not hold dye particularly well so fading will be more noticeable on dark colours. Also, for some reason that I've never been able to figure out, navy seems to attract dust and lint like crazy.

I don't think it attracts any more dust or lint than other colours. But the dust and lint is just more noticeable!

BDJW wrote: »
    I don't think it attracts any more dust or lint than other colours. But the dust and lint is just more noticeable!

You're probably right there. It's weird though, I have dark brown cords that look fine but I also have a pair of navy cords and I can't keep them dust free for the life of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I get my chinos from Fatface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Banana Republic are my go to shop for chinos. Good quality and decent selection of sizes and fits. Wash well and ideal for smart casual in work.
    http://bananarepublic.gap.eu/browse/category.do?cid=58344&kwid=1&sem=false&preferredLocale=en_GB

Their sister company, Gap, also have a selection.

http://bananarepublic.gap.eu/browse/category.do?cid=58344&kwid=1&sem=false&preferredLocale=en_GB

Both stores frequently have 20-40% off coupons so worth having a quick search before ordering.

Advertisement