Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hermle Clock Repair

Options
  • 11-07-2015 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All. I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I've an old Hermle mantle clock that was presented to my Grandfather. It probably from the 1960s and it's of significant sentimental value to me.

It's been working away for years and is wound every week or so - when I hear the tick get weak.

Today I was winding it and then BANG. I think the main spring has broken.

I'm mechanically minded and will attempt most things but as it's of such sentimental value I think it best to have it professionally repaired.

Any ideas where I can get this fixed? Preferably in Dublin.

I'd be also interested to see the level of difficulty involved if anyone can post a link to a DIY repair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Presume that there are a few places in Dublin. If you're stuck, google Stokes in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

William Lawless in Stoneybatter are the most reputable repairers IMO.

They will likely need to service the clock too so expect a bill of closer to 200.

It does sound like the mainspring has broken, or has come disconnected from the frontplate. If you decide to do a DIY job on it then my advice would be to take photos every step of the way...so when you remove a part- take a photo.
    That makes re-assembly much easier.

Once you know the size of the mainspring you can get a replacement easy enough....and cheap enough. I have used these lads.

Ultimately though, the clock does need a service so fixing the current fault would be pointless as something else will go. Running an unserviced clock can damage other parts too as all that gunk clogs things up. It is not too hard to do that...I figured it out from a book. Some pics in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Menas wrote: »
    William Lawless in Stoneybatter are the most reputable repairers IMO.

They will likely need to service the clock too so expect a bill of closer to 200.

It does sound like the mainspring has broken, or has come disconnected from the frontplate. If you decide to do a DIY job on it then my advice would be to take photos every step of the way...so when you remove a part- take a photo.
    That makes re-assembly much easier.

Once you know the size of the mainspring you can get a replacement easy enough....and cheap enough. I have used these lads.

Ultimately though, the clock does need a service so fixing the current fault would be pointless as something else will go. Running an unserviced clock can damage other parts too as all that gunk clogs things up. It is not too hard to do that...I figured it out from a book. Some pics in this thread.

I'll resurrect this rather than start a new thread.

I haven't had a chance to drop this in for repair. Time (pardon the pun), cost, etc.

I've done a bit of Googling and I'm starting to think that a DIY repair might be within my ability. I'm just not sure of what to expect once I remove the movement from the main body.

@Menas. The pics in your link aren't showing for me. Maybe you could do me a favour and PM them to me.

My other problem is sourcing the main spring - the link shows just the spring but can I get it already preinstalled in the barrel?. If I do end up going for one of the springs in the link, how do I know which size to get? I've managed to find the movement type and get an exploded view of it but when I try to source the mainspring, all can find are options to buy the whole movement.

FWIW, it's a Hermle 150-010 movement from 1970.

These might seem like basic questions but once I get a grip of the basics I should be good to go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

crosstownk wrote: »

@Menas. The pics in your link aren't showing for me. Maybe you could do me a favour and PM them to me.
    I see that C, I'll try and fix them for you, though this may bring down the interwebs itself.. :)

*EDIT* OK I think I've fixed Mena's links and hope that helps you. Note to self; avoid imageshack like the plague. IMH Tinypic are stable over time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    though this may bring down the interwebs itself.. :)

Bring it on :D

EDIT: Good man, Wibbs. I have them loud and clear now.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    My other problem is sourcing the main spring - the link shows just the spring but can I get it already preinstalled in the barrel?. If I do end up going for one of the springs in the link, how do I know which size to get? I've managed to find the movement type and get an exploded view of it but when I try to source the mainspring, all can find are options to buy the whole movement.

I suppose the first thing to do is to verify that it is the main spring that is the issue. It sounds like it is, but be sure!
    You may just get lucky and be able to source a mainspring preloaded in a barrel.
    Is there a number on your barrel?

Eg of a hermle barrel pre loaded!
    http://timesavers.com/i-8946054-10-hermle-barrel-with-mainspring.html

Otherwise you will need to (very very carefully and when dressed in full body and face armour!!) remove the spring from the barrel, measure it and order a new one. Look up how to do this before attempting it...you may lose a finger or two if you are not careful enough!

I live over the road from you so if you do want a hand then no bother at all.

Menas wrote: »
    I suppose the first thing to do is to verify that it is the main spring that is the issue. It sounds like it is, but be sure!
    You may just get lucky and be able to source a mainspring preloaded in a barrel.
    Is there a number on your barrel?

Eg of a hermle barrel pre loaded!
    http://timesavers.com/i-8946054-10-hermle-barrel-with-mainspring.html

Otherwise you will need to (very very carefully and when dressed in full body and face armour!!) remove the spring from the barrel, measure it and order a new one. Look up how to do this before attempting it...you may lose a finger or two if you are not careful enough!

I live over the road from you so if you do want a hand then no bother at all.
    Nice one. Thanks for the advice.

I'm off work the week before Christmas and I'll be home alone with no distractions so I'll probably attempt it then.

In the meantime I'll look up the relevant safety procedures :eek:

I haven't removed anything just yet. I'm only at the 'peering in and evaluating' stage :D

I appreciate the offer of help - hopefully it won't come to that but it is reassuring to know that someone with more experience is close at hand. Thanks, Menas.

I'd a bit of spare time today so I had a crack at removing the barrel. It was quite simple to remove in the end and nowhere near as tedious as I had expected. It was a simple matter of carefully removing the hands, removing the movement and then the arbour. Once that was done the barrel slipped out with no further dismantling required.

The barrel has a number 12 stamped on to it. I tried to order one from the Timesavers website as recommended above but I keep getting an address verification error and it won't let me proceed. Has anyone else experienced this? I'll email them on Monday if I've no joy before then.

Now that the barrel has been removed and I'm waiting on the replacement part, I might as well see what I can do to clean the clock up a bit. The hands are slightly stained/tarnished as are other brass trims on the clock. The clock dial is also dirty - probably from manually turning the hands to have the chimes catch up after the clock had stopped. What advice do you guys have for recommended cleaning or detergents to try and restore the hands and face? Would I be best off leaving it as it is?

Some photos:

1. The hands, barrel and arbour removed. The photo doesn't really show the tarnishing on the hands too well.
    IMG_2314.jpg

2. The clock face with the glass door open.
    IMG_2315.jpg

3. The glass door closed.
    IMG_2313.jpg

This is going to sound nuts, but steep the hands in Cola for an hour. Rinse in fresh water. Dry off and then use brasso to get them shiny.

A little brasso on a cotton bud should be all you need to polish the brass on the face. Apply with one cotton bud. Rub in well. Then use a clean one to polish it up.

Its a nice looking clock, seems in good condition.

The barrel and mainspring arrived today. I had it fitted in 15 mins. The clock is now running fine and I'm happy that it's back ticking in time for Christmas.

Many thanks for all the help - especially Menas.

Have a great Christmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement