Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions over potential dismissal.

Options
  • 11-07-2015 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭

Started a new job in March. Everything was going fine, I thought, until today when I was pulled aside by my manager and told that if i didn't up my performance in the next week I was gone. He also cut my shifts down to 2 for that week instead of 5.

His follows on from yesterday where I was forced to wear jeans to work because my dryer was broken. His was brought up as an example of my poor standards despite the fact that multiple people do this on a regular basis and plenty others have in the past. It was literally a once off.

Also brought up was an incident on the same day where I was talking to a work colleague for no more than 30 seconds, when he had finished his shift and had called me over. In this instance I was cursed at by him and told to get back to work. This is funny because I could give multiple examples from today alone of this happening with other staff members and there being no problem - we work in a bar, and he was finished and drinking when he cursed at me.

He had complimented me on Wednesday on my improvement so the 2 shifts to save my job seems a bit mental, especially as I consider myself someone who more than pulls my weight, the customers would attest to it, but the managers are rarely behind the bar so my performance is mostly unseen.

I was hired on a full time basis, but never signed an actual contract.

I now seemingly have 2 shifts to save my job having never recieved any type of warning before, around the same time as my manager is going through an engagement break up. I honestly can't believe it. Is there anyhing I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Mokuba wrote: »
    Started a new job in March. Everything was going fine, I thought, until today when I was pulled aside by my manager and told that if i didn't up my performance in the next week I was gone. He also cut my shifts down to 2 for that week instead of 5.

His follows on from yesterday where I was forced to wear jeans to work because my dryer was broken. His was brought up as an example of my poor standards despite the fact that multiple people do this on a regular basis and plenty others have in the past. It was literally a once off.

Also brought up was an incident on the same day where I was talking to a work colleague for no more than 30 seconds, when he had finished his shift and had called me over. In this instance I was cursed at by him and told to get back to work. This is funny because I could give multiple examples from today alone of this happening with other staff members and there being no problem - we work in a bar, and he was finished and drinking when he cursed at me.

He had complimented me on Wednesday on my improvement so the 2 shifts to save my job seems a bit mental, especially as I consider myself someone who more than pulls my weight, the customers would attest to it, but the managers are rarely behind the bar so my performance is mostly unseen.

I was hired on a full time basis, but never signed an actual contract.

I now seemingly have 2 shifts to save my job having never recieved any type of warning before, around the same time as my manager is going through an engagement break up. I honestly can't believe it. Is there anyhing I can do?

Unlikely. After 4 months they can effectively dismiss you without reason. Time to move on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

davo10 wrote: »
    Unlikely. After 4 months they can effectively dismiss you without reason. Time to move on.

Yes agreed, either really make an effort or expect to be let go.

Tbh the jeans incident is a bit ridiculous, washing your clothes for work the night beforehand is sloppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes agreed, either really make an effort or expect to be let go.

Tbh the jeans incident is a bit ridiculous, washing your clothes for work the night beforehand is sloppy

Oh for sure, I accept my fault and it was a once off. But plenty of people wear them on a daily basis and have done in the past. Surely a once off on my part shouldn't be used as 1 of two examples for letting me go? I'm a genuinely solid worker and there hasn't been a bad word said about me in the past. To be honest the whole ordeal has only made me more determined to succeed in college so I will have a bit of job security in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,690 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

To be honest the whole ordeal has only made me more determined to succeed in college so I will have a bit of job security in future.

Good! IMHO this is one of the main benefits of crappy student jobs!

...so my performance is mostly unseen.

Don't assume this. Most bars have lots of CCTV, and there are plenty where the manager is watching from the office.

TBH, there's not a lot you can do. You're on probation for the first 12 months, so can be let go with no reason given. I think that sucks, but it's a feature of Irish labour law.

Good luck with the job-hunting - one option is to start now, before you have been fired. If you're really lucky, you might even get to quit rather than being fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

Manager sounds like a pain. I've worked for this kind before you'll never win.

If you don't need the job just hand in your notice. Life is too short to be made feel crappy in a job you don't need. If you do I would say bite your tongue, smile and nod as if you agree completely with him. Work hard. Just keep applying for other jobs.

Whatever you do don't bitch about him with your colleagues or the customers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement