Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering under NMC UK as an Irish student nurse

Options
  • 11-07-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi, my girlfriend is finishing her nursing degree in Ireland in mid-September. We plan to move to the UK, as she has been offered a job in a UK hospital. We're having trouble understanding the process to get registered as a nurse under the NMC.

We want to get everything done as soon as possible, because her UK job starts in December. Does she need to have an Irish PIN from the NMBI (formerly An Bord Altranais) before applying for the NMC?

Basically, what are the steps needed to get registered under the NMC as quickly as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

Get the NMC to post her the application form for registration from an EU country. Once she qualifies get An Bord Altranais to fill in the first part of the form and ask them to send it to the NMC a sap.
    She'll need 2 references and her GP to sign a form of fitness to practice. (Ie no mental health issues or physical infirmities that would stop her practicing)
    It generally takes about a month to get the registration- ask the NMC for her registration number to speed up job applications.
    They will post out the form or you can download it online when it's through.
    I don't envy her. I've just done it a few months ago and it's very very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jaych1000

Get the NMC to post her the application form for registration from an EU country. Once she qualifies get An Bord Altranais to fill in the first part of the form and ask them to send it to the NMC a sap.
    She'll need 2 references and her GP to sign a form of fitness to practice. (Ie no mental health issues or physical infirmities that would stop her practicing)
    It generally takes about a month to get the registration- ask the NMC for her registration number to speed up job applications.
    They will post out the form or you can download it online when it's through.
    I don't envy her. I've just done it a few months ago and it's very very frustrating

Hi AlbertoFrog. Thanks for the info.
    My girlfriend has gotten the application pack and we've been to the UK to meet the hospital for the security check (clearance?).

When you say "once she qualifies", do you mean once she has graduated?
    She has passed her fourth-year exams and is just starting her last placement next week.

Yeah - once she graduates she will need to get her registration number from An Bord Analtrais. ABA sort everything from their end but get them to send the form by registered post to the NMC.
    The hospital should give her a form for her security check - it's called a DBS certificate. Her employer should pay for that.
    You do need to take into consideration that it takes a while to sort everything out - it took me 2 months and I already had an NMC number, I just needed confirmation of it!

She'll receive her certificate in October... I think she then waits 6 weeks til she gets her pin: is it only then that she can apply for her indemnity arrangement, certificate of current professional status, declaration of good health and character, and certificate from the competent authority confirming shes practiced as a general nurse for the last 3 yrs from ABA?

Seems like all she can do now is just have a passport copy done?

Also in regard to the DBS cert.. she's started her application online but itss stopped at stage 2. It says she's awaiting an E-number and the checks need to be done before the DBS online can progress to the next stage.. but it's said that for a good few weeks now. Is there anything she should do to speed the process up or does she just have to wait til they issue her with a number?

Once she gets her ABA number she can apply to the NMC but she'll have to wait until then.
    As for the DBS check usually the employer sorts that. My employer used some place in Liverpool and paid for it. The fee is usually about £60.
    While she's waiting on her registration has she thought about doing agency as a nursing auxiliary?
    There's not as much cash as a qualified nurse but the money still isn't bad.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I rang the NMC yesterday and they told me that she doesn't need to be registered in Ireland as a nurse first.
    They said the minimum amount of time for the NMC to come through is 4 months.

Advertisement