Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do a masters?

Options
  • 11-07-2015 8:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Just returned from 3 years teaching English in Asia. I am now looking at the possibility of doing a Masters. A lot of jobs in the Middle East, which is the next possibility, require Masters in EFL, but I'd rather do one in general Education, as I my background is art, and I want to leave myself open to teaching that at college level one day.

My first query is, do I have any hope of being accepted into a masters programme if I only got a 2:2 with my degree? Considering it was 6+ years ago and I'm a mature student now (30 years old)

Secondly, I was wondering how Masters operate. Do they follow the traditional format of September-April school years, or can they be started a few times a year? If its the former, when is the usual application time/cut off point?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Wright wrote: »
    Just returned from 3 years teaching English in Asia. I am now looking at the possibility of doing a Masters. A lot of jobs in the Middle East, which is the next possibility, require Masters in EFL, but I'd rather do one in general Education, as I my background is art, and I want to leave myself open to teaching that at college level one day.

My first query is, do I have any hope of being accepted into a masters programme if I only got a 2:2 with my degree? Considering it was 6+ years ago and I'm a mature student now (30 years old)

Secondly, I was wondering how Masters operate. Do they follow the traditional format of September-April school years, or can they be started a few times a year? If its the former, when is the usual application time/cut off point?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I don't know about the timetable but UCC took me with a 2.2 Honours degree. I was a bit more mature than 30..

I reckon it depends on the university. Best to check out various options.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

That's a relief to hear, thank you.

Anyone else got insight/experience to share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Wright wrote: »
    That's a relief to hear, thank you.

Anyone else got insight/experience to share?

I think the last thing a college want's on it's books is a drop-out so they'll probably see if you can see it through first and foremost (maturity . experience , morivation). Then I can't see why they would refuse your money.

2.2 aint too bad really.

Advertisement